Jan 30, 2013, 10:05 PM EST
That doesn’t necessarily mean that GM Lou Lamoriello has decided to burn a year of the 18-year-old’s entry-level deal or send him back to the QMJHL yet, though.
“He will not be going back immediately and we’re not going to let his contract status get in the way,” Lamoriello said. “We’re going to continue evaluating this and a decision won’t be made at this point.”
The Devils’ next game comes against the New York Islanders on Thursday, but the team could decide to scratch him and continue the evaluation process.
Adam Henrique‘s impending return could make it easier send Matteau back. The 22-year-old forward is considered day-to-day as he recovers from left thumb surgery (which he underwent on Nov. 29).
Matteau’s immediate future isn’t the only situation that remains in limbo. Lamoriello confirmed that nothing has changed regarding Mathieu Darche, 36, who has been skating with the team without a contract.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)