Jan 30, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT
That doesn’t necessarily mean that GM Lou Lamoriello has decided to burn a year of the 18-year-old’s entry-level deal or send him back to the QMJHL yet, though.
“He will not be going back immediately and we’re not going to let his contract status get in the way,” Lamoriello said. “We’re going to continue evaluating this and a decision won’t be made at this point.”
The Devils’ next game comes against the New York Islanders on Thursday, but the team could decide to scratch him and continue the evaluation process.
Adam Henrique‘s impending return could make it easier send Matteau back. The 22-year-old forward is considered day-to-day as he recovers from left thumb surgery (which he underwent on Nov. 29).
Matteau’s immediate future isn’t the only situation that remains in limbo. Lamoriello confirmed that nothing has changed regarding Mathieu Darche, 36, who has been skating with the team without a contract.
- After prepping for three years, Franson excited to test free agency 7
- Sabres’ Kane (shoulder) ‘ahead of schedule’ with recovery 16
- Lightning ‘answer the challenge’ in Game 7 to reach Stanley Cup Final 37
- Vigneault: McDonagh was playing with a broken foot 20
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 76
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 32
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 58
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 14
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers (76)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (58)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)