Jan 30, 2013, 10:05 PM EDT
That doesn’t necessarily mean that GM Lou Lamoriello has decided to burn a year of the 18-year-old’s entry-level deal or send him back to the QMJHL yet, though.
“He will not be going back immediately and we’re not going to let his contract status get in the way,” Lamoriello said. “We’re going to continue evaluating this and a decision won’t be made at this point.”
The Devils’ next game comes against the New York Islanders on Thursday, but the team could decide to scratch him and continue the evaluation process.
Adam Henrique‘s impending return could make it easier send Matteau back. The 22-year-old forward is considered day-to-day as he recovers from left thumb surgery (which he underwent on Nov. 29).
Matteau’s immediate future isn’t the only situation that remains in limbo. Lamoriello confirmed that nothing has changed regarding Mathieu Darche, 36, who has been skating with the team without a contract.
- Hitch needs ‘time to reflect’ before making decision on future 11
- Rutherford admits mistakes, but has support of Penguins ownership 6
- Wings’ Kronwall has hearing today for hit on Kucherov 32
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 37
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 26
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 10
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 31
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 80
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)