Jan 30, 2013, 6:24 PM EDT
Despite relative unknown Chad Johnson’s shutout of the Nashville Predators on Monday, it’s clear that the Phoenix Coyotes want goalie Mike Smith back on the ice. The big netminder might just be able to return to action from a lower-body injury in the near future, according to the team.
Head coach Dave Tippett was particularly optimistic after seeing him practice Wednesday.
“I’d be surprised if he’s not ready by the weekend,” Tippett said.
The 30-year-old goalie is eligible to be activated from the injured reserve on Friday. Phoenix has back-to-back games against the Dallas Stars on Friday and Saturday, so perhaps he can get in at least one of those contests.
It’s already been a rough start for Smith. He allowed 10 goals in two losses to start the season before getting injured against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Jan. 23.
It sounds like the team’s going to ride the hot hand tonight with Johnson, 26, against the Edmonton Oilers. Even with Johnson’s spotless debut, it’s likely that the Coyotes are pulling for a quick comeback for Smith. At the moment, it appears that they might get their wish.
(H/T to Rotoworld)
Jul 14, 2014, 11:16 AM EDT
Torey Krug and Reilly Smith, among others, remain RFAs.
Jul 14, 2014, 10:45 AM EDT
Replaces Jamie Kompon.
Jul 14, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
Which is good, because that’s probably where he’ll be starting.
Jul 14, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
He better have a good preseason.
Jul 14, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Some links to get through Monday morning.
Jul 13, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
The Ottawa Senators didn’t exactly earn rave reviews.
Jul 13, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Can the Ducks get decent value out of the faded star?
Jul 13, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
For those steamed about his disappointing playoff production …
Jul 13, 2014, 7:34 PM EDT
Learn why that could make the most sense.
Jul 13, 2014, 6:12 PM EDT
The pup’s name is Gustl.
Jul 13, 2014, 4:57 PM EDT
Two interesting futures for Washington locked up.
Jul 13, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
Will he make the team?
Jul 13, 2014, 2:42 PM EDT
He’s gifted offensively, but the blueliner needs to work on his defensive game.
Jul 13, 2014, 1:30 PM EDT
The highly regarded prospect spent the 2013-14 campaign adjusting to North American hockey.
Jul 13, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT
But Wild GM Chuck Fletcher cautioned that it would be harder to figure out the numbers for a longer-term deal.
Jul 13, 2014, 11:11 AM EDT
He was taken with the third overall pick in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
Jul 13, 2014, 10:05 AM EDT
The goal is for him to make a full recovery before the start of training camp.
Jul 13, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
He’s likely to be the AHL affiliate’s No. 1 goalie.
Jul 13, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Sunday’s slew of stories.
Jul 12, 2014, 10:05 PM EDT
Taking the scenic route to development.
- Kopitar + adorable dog = best day with the Stanley Cup? 9
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets’ next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 31
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 40
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 72
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 171
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (171)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (72)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)