Jan 30, 2013, 6:24 PM EST
Despite relative unknown Chad Johnson’s shutout of the Nashville Predators on Monday, it’s clear that the Phoenix Coyotes want goalie Mike Smith back on the ice. The big netminder might just be able to return to action from a lower-body injury in the near future, according to the team.
Head coach Dave Tippett was particularly optimistic after seeing him practice Wednesday.
“I’d be surprised if he’s not ready by the weekend,” Tippett said.
The 30-year-old goalie is eligible to be activated from the injured reserve on Friday. Phoenix has back-to-back games against the Dallas Stars on Friday and Saturday, so perhaps he can get in at least one of those contests.
It’s already been a rough start for Smith. He allowed 10 goals in two losses to start the season before getting injured against the Columbus Blue Jackets on Jan. 23.
It sounds like the team’s going to ride the hot hand tonight with Johnson, 26, against the Edmonton Oilers. Even with Johnson’s spotless debut, it’s likely that the Coyotes are pulling for a quick comeback for Smith. At the moment, it appears that they might get their wish.
(H/T to Rotoworld)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 92
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 92
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 103
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (119)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (103)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (91)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (91)