Jan 30, 2013, 12:53 AM EST
It appears Alex Ovechkin hasn’t yet solved his scoring woes.
Once one of the most prolific scorers in the NHL, Ovechkin has one goal and two points in the Washington Capitals’ first six games of the season.
On Tuesday, two days after finally notching his first of 2013, Ovechkin was kept off the score sheet and the struggling Capitals coughed up a 2-0 lead to the Ottawa Senators, eventually losing 3-2.
Ovechkin was reduced to just two shots on goal.
“Of course, I want to be in the position where I score goals and help my team win,” he told Globe and Mail hockey writer Roy MacGregor prior to Tuesday’s game against Ottawa. “If I have an opportunity to score, I have to score.”
A member of the Capitals for nearly 10 years earlier in his career, Sergei Gonchar scored the winner on the power play with less than three minutes remaining.
“It’s a tough one because when you play a really good hockey game you obviously want the win. When you have a 2-0 lead that should be enough in this league,” Capitals head coach Adam Oates told Katie Carrera of the Washington Post.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
Minnesota has recalled John Curry.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
Was fired three games into the 2013-14 season.
Dec 27, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
St. Louis will host the Dallas Stars.
Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Will that last?
Dec 27, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
He’s been dealing with a back injury.
Dec 27, 2014, 3:27 PM EST
There was plenty of controversy surrounding the single-punch incident on Nov. 21.
Dec 27, 2014, 2:32 PM EST
Jagr from less than two weeks ago: “(Firing DeBoer) would be one of the biggest mistakes they could make.”
Dec 27, 2014, 1:37 PM EST
He missed four games.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:42 PM EST
He won’t need to undergo surgery.
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 PM EST
The Devils will dress 11 forwards tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:28 AM EST
It’s been that kind of season for Columbus.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:43 AM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 10:17 AM EST
Paul MacLean’s name has been mentioned too.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:53 AM EST
Los Angeles is in a delicate position after a pre-holiday slump.
Dec 27, 2014, 1:00 AM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
No official word from New Jersey.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:49 PM EST
This was over early.
Dec 26, 2014, 10:00 PM EST
It’s hitting the fan for New Jersey.
Dec 26, 2014, 8:30 PM EST
Long-time play-by-play man Bob Cole also recognized.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)