Jan 30, 2013, 12:53 AM EDT
It appears Alex Ovechkin hasn’t yet solved his scoring woes.
Once one of the most prolific scorers in the NHL, Ovechkin has one goal and two points in the Washington Capitals’ first six games of the season.
On Tuesday, two days after finally notching his first of 2013, Ovechkin was kept off the score sheet and the struggling Capitals coughed up a 2-0 lead to the Ottawa Senators, eventually losing 3-2.
Ovechkin was reduced to just two shots on goal.
“Of course, I want to be in the position where I score goals and help my team win,” he told Globe and Mail hockey writer Roy MacGregor prior to Tuesday’s game against Ottawa. “If I have an opportunity to score, I have to score.”
A member of the Capitals for nearly 10 years earlier in his career, Sergei Gonchar scored the winner on the power play with less than three minutes remaining.
“It’s a tough one because when you play a really good hockey game you obviously want the win. When you have a 2-0 lead that should be enough in this league,” Capitals head coach Adam Oates told Katie Carrera of the Washington Post.
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 11
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 36
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 17
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 29
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 18
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)