Jan 30, 2013, 12:53 AM EST
It appears Alex Ovechkin hasn’t yet solved his scoring woes.
Once one of the most prolific scorers in the NHL, Ovechkin has one goal and two points in the Washington Capitals’ first six games of the season.
On Tuesday, two days after finally notching his first of 2013, Ovechkin was kept off the score sheet and the struggling Capitals coughed up a 2-0 lead to the Ottawa Senators, eventually losing 3-2.
Ovechkin was reduced to just two shots on goal.
“Of course, I want to be in the position where I score goals and help my team win,” he told Globe and Mail hockey writer Roy MacGregor prior to Tuesday’s game against Ottawa. “If I have an opportunity to score, I have to score.”
A member of the Capitals for nearly 10 years earlier in his career, Sergei Gonchar scored the winner on the power play with less than three minutes remaining.
“It’s a tough one because when you play a really good hockey game you obviously want the win. When you have a 2-0 lead that should be enough in this league,” Capitals head coach Adam Oates told Katie Carrera of the Washington Post.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)