Jan 30, 2013, 6:00 AM EST
BOSTON, MA — Last season the Bruins’ top line of David Krejci, Milan Lucic, and Nathan Horton saw more downs than ups. The line was broken up for a bit and later on, Horton was lost to a season-ending concussion.
This season, the trio has been reunited and it’s just like 2011 all over again as all three are clicking with each other. Last night, the trio combined to score their only goal in regulation in a 2-1 shootout win over the Devils. The good news for Bruins fans is that they’re all keeping a level head about things.
“We’ve been playing together for some time now,” Krejci said. “It feels good though. We’re winning, our line’s doing good. That’s what everyone expects from us. We don’t get too high on ourselves. We know that’s what we should do and if we didn’t do that, we didn’t do our job. So far I like what I see from those two guys and I’m trying to help them out as much as I can and they’re trying to help me out. So far, so good.”
Horton, meanwhile, kept his line’s and the team’s success in check.
“They’re great players,” Horton said. “It’s fun for me to play with them. They’re special, just like everyone else on the team. It’s fun to be a part of this and great guys make it a lot of fun.”
If anyone might be viewed as “excited” it’s coach Claude Julien. His enthusiasm about their play, however, stems from them having concerns heading into the season.
“This was a line that had a question mark on it,” Julien said. “One guy hadn’t played in a year [Horton] and the other guy didn’t play at all so far since the beginning of the year [Lucic] and David was the only one having played. Being one of our top lines… We want to be able to rely on those guys. We have and they’ve certainly given us exactly what we need right now.”
With the Bruins atop the Eastern Conference with 11 points and a 5-0-1 record, the more that top line keeps rolling, the more trouble they’ll bring their opponents.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:22 PM EST
No timeline yet for his return from various ailments.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Ottawa wins shootout by slim margin.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:21 PM EST
They’ve won six straight games at home.
Dec 9, 2013, 9:56 PM EST
There’s a chance Zbynek Michalek could be back, though.
Dec 9, 2013, 9:27 PM EST
First bout for Couturier, fourth for Turris.
Dec 9, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
Quite a way to end Columbus’ 162-minute shutout streak.
Dec 9, 2013, 8:42 PM EST
NHL’s Board of Governors ratified the Canadian TV deal.
Dec 9, 2013, 7:35 PM EST
“Well that’s just super,” the Blue Jackets probably didn’t say.
Dec 9, 2013, 7:31 PM EST
“There are other ways to respond.”
Dec 9, 2013, 6:53 PM EST
Adding some toughness.
Dec 9, 2013, 5:45 PM EST
Red Wings actually fared well in his absence.
Dec 9, 2013, 5:15 PM EST
Jon Cooper knows it could be a lot worse.
Dec 9, 2013, 4:25 PM EST
“We’re pretty frustrated,” said Ryan McDonagh.
Dec 9, 2013, 3:55 PM EST
Anaheim’s coming off two impressive wins over the ‘Hawks and Blues.
Dec 9, 2013, 3:17 PM EST
Tough times in the Chicago goal.
Dec 9, 2013, 2:45 PM EST
All the latest from the blue paint…
Dec 9, 2013, 2:44 PM EST
They’re in Anaheim to play the Ducks tonight.
Dec 9, 2013, 2:08 PM EST
Sounds like it could be.
Dec 9, 2013, 1:40 PM EST
And the players and coach seem to agree with the chart.
Dec 9, 2013, 1:37 PM EST
He’s been up, he’s been down.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 152
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (152)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)