Jan 30, 2013, 2:35 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks announced today that majority owner Hasso Plattner has purchased the shares in the organization formerly held by investors Kevin Compton and Stratton Sclavos.
The change in ownership structure will not affect the team’s day-to-day operations, according to Plattner.
“While this change does affect the individual structure of our ownership group, it does not change the organization’s primary goal which is to build a team that is capable of winning a Stanley Cup each and every season,” said Plattner in a release. “The team’s day-to-day operations will not be affected. All current Executive Team members will remain in place with Doug Wilson continuing to oversee all hockey operations and Malcolm Bordelon operating the business side of the organization.”
In August, the Sharks claimed they lost $15 million last season despite selling out every home game.
Prior to selling their shares, Compton and Sclavos had been the most prominent members of the ownership group. However, the Sharks say that Plattner, the billionaire co-founder of software giant SAP AP, has been the organization’s majority owner since 2010.
Compton and Sclavos released the following joint statement today:
“It’s been a great 11 years being involved with the San Jose Sharks and the NHL but we feel this is the right time for us to step away and focus on other avenues. Although we are no longer involved with the ownership group of the organization, we remain among the team’s biggest fans and will continue to be ardent supporters of the franchise. We want to thank all Sharks fans for their years of unbridled passion and continued support of the team.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)