Jan 30, 2013, 2:35 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks announced today that majority owner Hasso Plattner has purchased the shares in the organization formerly held by investors Kevin Compton and Stratton Sclavos.
The change in ownership structure will not affect the team’s day-to-day operations, according to Plattner.
“While this change does affect the individual structure of our ownership group, it does not change the organization’s primary goal which is to build a team that is capable of winning a Stanley Cup each and every season,” said Plattner in a release. “The team’s day-to-day operations will not be affected. All current Executive Team members will remain in place with Doug Wilson continuing to oversee all hockey operations and Malcolm Bordelon operating the business side of the organization.”
In August, the Sharks claimed they lost $15 million last season despite selling out every home game.
Prior to selling their shares, Compton and Sclavos had been the most prominent members of the ownership group. However, the Sharks say that Plattner, the billionaire co-founder of software giant SAP AP, has been the organization’s majority owner since 2010.
Compton and Sclavos released the following joint statement today:
“It’s been a great 11 years being involved with the San Jose Sharks and the NHL but we feel this is the right time for us to step away and focus on other avenues. Although we are no longer involved with the ownership group of the organization, we remain among the team’s biggest fans and will continue to be ardent supporters of the franchise. We want to thank all Sharks fans for their years of unbridled passion and continued support of the team.”
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 9
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 15
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 17
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)