Jan 30, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
Landeskog, 19, was injured during Saturday’s 4-0 loss to San Jose on this hit from defenseman Brad Stuart:
Landeskog left the ice immediately after the collision, but returned to the game three minutes into the second period, playing 16:23 all told.
The decision to allow the Avs captain to return came under scrutiny on Monday, when it was learned Landeskog would be held out of Colorado’s game in Edmonton with head and neck injuries, believed to have occurred on the Stuart hit.
The Avalanche went on to lose in Edmonton 4-1 — their second straight loss — and have now lost three of five to start the year.
There’s no denying the team is hurting up front right now. Colorado already lost winger Steve Downie for the year with a torn ACL and is still without the services of center Ryan O’Reilly, currently embroiled in a contract dispute.
Minus the services of Landeskog, Downie and O’Reilly, head coach Joe Sacco has been forced to juggle his forward lines.
Dater reports the Avs might go with John Mitchell on a line with Matt Duchene and PA Parenteau vs. Vancouver, with Michael Sgarbossa — an undrafted free agent rookie — making his NHL debut centering Chuck Kobasew and Milan Hejduk.
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 4
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 11
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21