Jan 30, 2013, 2:58 PM EDT
Landeskog, 19, was injured during Saturday’s 4-0 loss to San Jose on this hit from defenseman Brad Stuart:
Landeskog left the ice immediately after the collision, but returned to the game three minutes into the second period, playing 16:23 all told.
The decision to allow the Avs captain to return came under scrutiny on Monday, when it was learned Landeskog would be held out of Colorado’s game in Edmonton with head and neck injuries, believed to have occurred on the Stuart hit.
The Avalanche went on to lose in Edmonton 4-1 — their second straight loss — and have now lost three of five to start the year.
There’s no denying the team is hurting up front right now. Colorado already lost winger Steve Downie for the year with a torn ACL and is still without the services of center Ryan O’Reilly, currently embroiled in a contract dispute.
Minus the services of Landeskog, Downie and O’Reilly, head coach Joe Sacco has been forced to juggle his forward lines.
Dater reports the Avs might go with John Mitchell on a line with Matt Duchene and PA Parenteau vs. Vancouver, with Michael Sgarbossa — an undrafted free agent rookie — making his NHL debut centering Chuck Kobasew and Milan Hejduk.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 10
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 14
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 29
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25