Jan 30, 2013, 2:58 PM EST
Landeskog, 19, was injured during Saturday’s 4-0 loss to San Jose on this hit from defenseman Brad Stuart:
Landeskog left the ice immediately after the collision, but returned to the game three minutes into the second period, playing 16:23 all told.
The decision to allow the Avs captain to return came under scrutiny on Monday, when it was learned Landeskog would be held out of Colorado’s game in Edmonton with head and neck injuries, believed to have occurred on the Stuart hit.
The Avalanche went on to lose in Edmonton 4-1 — their second straight loss — and have now lost three of five to start the year.
There’s no denying the team is hurting up front right now. Colorado already lost winger Steve Downie for the year with a torn ACL and is still without the services of center Ryan O’Reilly, currently embroiled in a contract dispute.
Minus the services of Landeskog, Downie and O’Reilly, head coach Joe Sacco has been forced to juggle his forward lines.
Dater reports the Avs might go with John Mitchell on a line with Matt Duchene and PA Parenteau vs. Vancouver, with Michael Sgarbossa — an undrafted free agent rookie — making his NHL debut centering Chuck Kobasew and Milan Hejduk.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)