Jan 29, 2013, 8:02 PM EST
It hasn’t been a great start to the season for Shea Weber.
The All-Star defenseman is scoreless through six games with a minus-1 rating.
His team has just one regulation win and sits last in the Central Division.
Put it all together and you have a frustrated player — something head coach Barry Trotz recognizes.
“I think Webs is a little bit frustrated,” Trotz told The Tennessean. “He wants to do so well. It’s not that he’s doing a lot of bad things, but I think there’s a little bit of a level of frustration in his game right now that holds him back a little bit.”
It’s been a season of change for both Weber and the Preds. Gone is Weber’s longtime defensive partner, Ryan Suter, replaced by the relatively inexperienced Roman Josi (who had just 52 career games under his belt coming into 2013.)
The Preds are also without a number of players from last year’s team. Andrei Kostitsyn, Jordin Tootoo, Francis Bouillon, Anders Lindback and Alex Radulov are all plying their trades elsewhere, and former 30-goal scorer Patric Hornqvist is out with injury.
Things don’t promise to get any easier in the near future.
The Preds are in the midst of a seven-game road trip — they’re 1-2-1 thus far — and still have dates in Los Angeles, San Jose and St. Louis. All told, Nashville will play four of its next five games on the road, not exactly what a team looking to reverse its slow start needs for a reversal of fortune.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:49 PM EST
When Nashville loses, it loses big.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
It’s been a long journey for the former No. 6 overall pick.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:14 PM EST
Incident occurred on Sunday, against Boston’s Kevan Miller.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:11 PM EST
No goals in 18 games for the Sabres.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:47 AM EST
Facing a lengthy suspension.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:42 AM EST
Bad news, especially given his history.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
He spent 16 years with and played over 600 games for the Flames.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:26 AM EST
That’s the stadium in the ‘Peg.
Dec 10, 2013, 9:58 AM EST
If he’s not available, the Bruins will need to call up a defenseman.
Dec 10, 2013, 9:16 AM EST
Playing at least one more season would likely make him Ottawa’s all-time games leader.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:47 AM EST
Both teams have struggled lately.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:41 AM EST
Vancouver is getting in the thick of things.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:00 AM EST
The Ducks are 11-0-2 in Anaheim this season.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
He could miss more time, too.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:22 PM EST
No timeline yet for his return from various ailments.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Ottawa wins shootout by slim margin.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:21 PM EST
They’ve won six straight games at home.
Dec 9, 2013, 9:56 PM EST
There’s a chance Zbynek Michalek could be back, though.
Dec 9, 2013, 9:27 PM EST
First bout for Couturier, fourth for Turris.
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 6
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 5
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 8
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 101
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 128
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (128)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (106)