Jan 29, 2013, 8:02 PM EDT
It hasn’t been a great start to the season for Shea Weber.
The All-Star defenseman is scoreless through six games with a minus-1 rating.
His team has just one regulation win and sits last in the Central Division.
Put it all together and you have a frustrated player — something head coach Barry Trotz recognizes.
“I think Webs is a little bit frustrated,” Trotz told The Tennessean. “He wants to do so well. It’s not that he’s doing a lot of bad things, but I think there’s a little bit of a level of frustration in his game right now that holds him back a little bit.”
It’s been a season of change for both Weber and the Preds. Gone is Weber’s longtime defensive partner, Ryan Suter, replaced by the relatively inexperienced Roman Josi (who had just 52 career games under his belt coming into 2013.)
The Preds are also without a number of players from last year’s team. Andrei Kostitsyn, Jordin Tootoo, Francis Bouillon, Anders Lindback and Alex Radulov are all plying their trades elsewhere, and former 30-goal scorer Patric Hornqvist is out with injury.
Things don’t promise to get any easier in the near future.
The Preds are in the midst of a seven-game road trip — they’re 1-2-1 thus far — and still have dates in Los Angeles, San Jose and St. Louis. All told, Nashville will play four of its next five games on the road, not exactly what a team looking to reverse its slow start needs for a reversal of fortune.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 13
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 45
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 33
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (67)