Jan 29, 2013, 11:47 AM EST
Mikhail Grigorenko will be in Buffalo’s lineup tonight against Toronto, thus triggering the first year of his entry-level contract.
“Two things [went into the decision],” Sabres general manager Darcy Regier said, per NHL.com. “The ability to continue his development in conjunction with his ability to help us win hockey games. Those two things really make it up.”
Grigorenko hasn’t been particularly effective in his first five games, failing to register a point while averaging 12:00 of ice time.
But the injury to Ville Leino has left the Sabres on the thin side at the center position.
Grigorenko’s last game, on Sunday against Washington, was also his best game.
“I think it did a lot for his situation,” Regier said.
Regher has an undisclosed lower-body injury, though Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston reports he was seen leaving First Niagara Center with a walking boot on his right foot.
Sulzer’s believed to be a healthy scratch.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)