Jan 29, 2013, 6:01 PM EDT
Bylsma said Niskanen will be out 2-4 weeks with an ankle injury sustained during Sunday’s shootout victory over Ottawa. The 26-year-old slid skates-first into the boards late in the first period and didn’t return to the contest, forcing Pittsburgh to play with five defensemen.
On Tuesday, Shelly Anderson of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Niskanen was wearing an orthopedic boot on his right foot.
The loss is a significant one for the Penguins blueline. Niskanen had been averaging over 20 minutes a night to start the year and tallied points in three of his first four games, ranking second on the team in defenseman scoring.
It’s expected that Robert Bortuzzo or Simon Despres will replace him in the lineup.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)