Jan 29, 2013, 6:01 PM EDT
Bylsma said Niskanen will be out 2-4 weeks with an ankle injury sustained during Sunday’s shootout victory over Ottawa. The 26-year-old slid skates-first into the boards late in the first period and didn’t return to the contest, forcing Pittsburgh to play with five defensemen.
On Tuesday, Shelly Anderson of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Niskanen was wearing an orthopedic boot on his right foot.
The loss is a significant one for the Penguins blueline. Niskanen had been averaging over 20 minutes a night to start the year and tallied points in three of his first four games, ranking second on the team in defenseman scoring.
It’s expected that Robert Bortuzzo or Simon Despres will replace him in the lineup.
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 9
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 2
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)