Jan 29, 2013, 6:01 PM EST
Bylsma said Niskanen will be out 2-4 weeks with an ankle injury sustained during Sunday’s shootout victory over Ottawa. The 26-year-old slid skates-first into the boards late in the first period and didn’t return to the contest, forcing Pittsburgh to play with five defensemen.
On Tuesday, Shelly Anderson of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported Niskanen was wearing an orthopedic boot on his right foot.
The loss is a significant one for the Penguins blueline. Niskanen had been averaging over 20 minutes a night to start the year and tallied points in three of his first four games, ranking second on the team in defenseman scoring.
It’s expected that Robert Bortuzzo or Simon Despres will replace him in the lineup.
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 1
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 4
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 11
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 14
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 7
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 35