Jan 29, 2013, 10:27 AM EDT
With major summer acquisitions Zach Parise and Ryan Suter making their season debuts and top-tier prospect Mikael Granlund playing in his first game, the Minnesota Wild won their season opener and then followed it up with a 1-0 victory against the Dallas Stars on Jan. 20.
They haven’t won since and while that’s not cause for panic, certain aspects of their recent struggles are concerning.
Parise has done his part with five goals and nine points in five games this season. The 28-year-old forward doesn’t see a problem with his team’s system, but he added that the team needs to be willing to consistently do the right thing, according to the Star Tribune.
“It’s good for us to see it on video and watch a team like St. Louis,” Parise said following the Wild’s 5-4 overtime loss to the Blues on Sunday. “They play the right way. They kept making our D go back and retrieve pucks all night. They made it hard on our D and hard on our team. It’s good for us to see them doing it and see how well it works.
“It’s more important for us to not allow ourselves to keep making the same mistakes over and over again, especially in a shorter season. We have to recognize what we’re doing wrong, what’s not working, and start doing things on a more consistent basis. We haven’t seen that yet.”
There’s also been criticisms of defenseman Ryan Suter, who ranks last in the team with a minus-five rating, but Wild coach Mike Yeo defended Suter and alluded to the fact that he currently ranks fourth in the NHL with an average of 27:44 minutes per game.
“He’s coming to a new team and a new system,” Yeo added. “He’s done so many good things, yet there’s still talk about some of the bad things that have happened for him. A lot of them, most of them, almost all of them are out of his control. With a guy like that, let’s be fair with our expectations.”
The Wild will look to end their current slump when they take on the Columbus Blue Jackets tonight.
Jul 28, 2014, 11:05 PM EDT
Both were part of Dallas’ 1999 championship.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT
He was recently hired by the team to serve as an assistant general manager.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:09 PM EDT
That won’t be easy given the Bruins’ current logjam.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
He might still end up playing in Russia.
Jul 28, 2014, 6:50 PM EDT
He attempted to make the transition to North America in 2013-14.
Jul 28, 2014, 5:42 PM EDT
The two sides are unlikely to agree to terms quickly though.
Jul 28, 2014, 4:37 PM EDT
Yashin and Bure are among the players that will compete against Los Angeles.
Jul 28, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
“I was told there’s a definite opportunity.”
Jul 28, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT
Former Anaheim forward posted a career high in points last year.
Jul 28, 2014, 2:01 PM EDT
With Riley Sheahan also signed, the only RFA left is Danny DeKeyser.
Jul 28, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
He’s appeared in over 150 NHL games with Chicago, Dallas and Minnesota.
Jul 28, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Veteran goalie is high on his young teammates.
Jul 28, 2014, 10:56 AM EDT
“It’ll be done before camp.”
Jul 28, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Appeared in 83 games for Calgary over the last three seasons.
Jul 28, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They’ll be dancing close to the upper limit all year.
Jul 28, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start your day.
Jul 27, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
He last played in 2001 with the Edmonton Oilers.
Jul 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
He’s played four full seasons there already.
Jul 27, 2014, 6:45 PM EDT
He has a few guys that can help make it happen there.
Jul 27, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
He was their final restricted free agent.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)