Jan 29, 2013, 10:27 AM EDT
With major summer acquisitions Zach Parise and Ryan Suter making their season debuts and top-tier prospect Mikael Granlund playing in his first game, the Minnesota Wild won their season opener and then followed it up with a 1-0 victory against the Dallas Stars on Jan. 20.
They haven’t won since and while that’s not cause for panic, certain aspects of their recent struggles are concerning.
Parise has done his part with five goals and nine points in five games this season. The 28-year-old forward doesn’t see a problem with his team’s system, but he added that the team needs to be willing to consistently do the right thing, according to the Star Tribune.
“It’s good for us to see it on video and watch a team like St. Louis,” Parise said following the Wild’s 5-4 overtime loss to the Blues on Sunday. “They play the right way. They kept making our D go back and retrieve pucks all night. They made it hard on our D and hard on our team. It’s good for us to see them doing it and see how well it works.
“It’s more important for us to not allow ourselves to keep making the same mistakes over and over again, especially in a shorter season. We have to recognize what we’re doing wrong, what’s not working, and start doing things on a more consistent basis. We haven’t seen that yet.”
There’s also been criticisms of defenseman Ryan Suter, who ranks last in the team with a minus-five rating, but Wild coach Mike Yeo defended Suter and alluded to the fact that he currently ranks fourth in the NHL with an average of 27:44 minutes per game.
“He’s coming to a new team and a new system,” Yeo added. “He’s done so many good things, yet there’s still talk about some of the bad things that have happened for him. A lot of them, most of them, almost all of them are out of his control. With a guy like that, let’s be fair with our expectations.”
The Wild will look to end their current slump when they take on the Columbus Blue Jackets tonight.
May 25, 2013, 11:54 PM EDT
It might be tough to gauge the right price for him.
May 25, 2013, 11:37 PM EDT
That phrase is more fun than “turning the other cheek.”
May 25, 2013, 11:17 PM EDT
Just ask Bryan Bickell.
May 25, 2013, 10:57 PM EDT
Did Chicago just flip the switch?
May 25, 2013, 10:42 PM EDT
He’s clearly embracing the role of underdog.
May 25, 2013, 10:29 PM EDT
He’s been the head coach of AHL Toronto since 2009.
May 25, 2013, 10:20 PM EDT
Detroit’s goalie made some especially challenging ones.
May 25, 2013, 10:06 PM EDT
May 25, 2013, 9:36 PM EDT
At least he’s still rich and handsome.
May 25, 2013, 9:07 PM EDT
He also thinks the Rangers faced an identity crisis.
May 25, 2013, 8:54 PM EDT
No other defenseman has four goals in first five playoff games.
May 25, 2013, 8:34 PM EDT
Jarome Iginla’s name might come up.
May 25, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
Torey Krug might eat for free in Boston.
May 25, 2013, 7:07 PM EDT
He took a puck and maybe a stick to the kisser.
May 25, 2013, 6:37 PM EDT
Impressive flash of the glove by Hank.
May 25, 2013, 6:21 PM EDT
New York Rangers forward was stirring the pot for a while.
May 25, 2013, 5:31 PM EDT
Looks like Dougie Hamilton is the odd man out.
May 25, 2013, 5:09 PM EDT
He’s been out with a broken hand.
May 25, 2013, 4:17 PM EDT
He avoided a fight in Game 4.
May 25, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
Desperation calls for tinkering.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 12
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic