Jan 29, 2013, 10:27 AM EDT
With major summer acquisitions Zach Parise and Ryan Suter making their season debuts and top-tier prospect Mikael Granlund playing in his first game, the Minnesota Wild won their season opener and then followed it up with a 1-0 victory against the Dallas Stars on Jan. 20.
They haven’t won since and while that’s not cause for panic, certain aspects of their recent struggles are concerning.
Parise has done his part with five goals and nine points in five games this season. The 28-year-old forward doesn’t see a problem with his team’s system, but he added that the team needs to be willing to consistently do the right thing, according to the Star Tribune.
“It’s good for us to see it on video and watch a team like St. Louis,” Parise said following the Wild’s 5-4 overtime loss to the Blues on Sunday. “They play the right way. They kept making our D go back and retrieve pucks all night. They made it hard on our D and hard on our team. It’s good for us to see them doing it and see how well it works.
“It’s more important for us to not allow ourselves to keep making the same mistakes over and over again, especially in a shorter season. We have to recognize what we’re doing wrong, what’s not working, and start doing things on a more consistent basis. We haven’t seen that yet.”
There’s also been criticisms of defenseman Ryan Suter, who ranks last in the team with a minus-five rating, but Wild coach Mike Yeo defended Suter and alluded to the fact that he currently ranks fourth in the NHL with an average of 27:44 minutes per game.
“He’s coming to a new team and a new system,” Yeo added. “He’s done so many good things, yet there’s still talk about some of the bad things that have happened for him. A lot of them, most of them, almost all of them are out of his control. With a guy like that, let’s be fair with our expectations.”
The Wild will look to end their current slump when they take on the Columbus Blue Jackets tonight.
Sep 4, 2015, 7:20 PM EDT
Meanwhile, Daniel Paille still looks for work.
Sep 4, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
It’s reportedly worth $950K.
Sep 4, 2015, 5:05 PM EDT
Friday’s interesting tidbits in one spot.
Sep 4, 2015, 3:47 PM EDT
His critics get one fewer straw to grasp.
Sep 4, 2015, 2:25 PM EDT
He’ll reportedly work in the player development department.
Sep 4, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
GM Jeff Gorton is excited to bring him back to New York.
Sep 4, 2015, 12:18 PM EDT
Everyone that was at his Hamburg home during the night of the alleged incident, to be exacted.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:47 AM EDT
He’s recovering from a broken right wrist.
Sep 4, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A summer of change provides “a fresh start.”
Sep 4, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Less (or at least delayed) competition for Ben Bishop.
Sep 4, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
He didn’t play beyond Feb. 25.
Sep 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:46 PM EDT
He might serve on the Capitals’ third defensive pairing.
Sep 3, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He was Arizona’s second pick of the draft after Dylan Strome.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:52 PM EDT
Kane is under a police investigation.
Sep 3, 2015, 7:25 PM EDT
They took him under custody from jail and now he’s awaiting a hearing with an immigration judge.
Sep 3, 2015, 6:25 PM EDT
Can he find a role with the Flames given their deep blueline?
Sep 3, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
“Antti was frustrated after Chicago send him [a] second time [to the] AHL and he told me truly how he felt.”
Sep 3, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
His availability for the season opener is in doubt.
Sep 3, 2015, 2:03 PM EDT
Bruins d-man is using them as motivation for a bounce-back campaign.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 10
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 8
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 33
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)