Jan 29, 2013, 8:52 AM EST
297. That’s the number of days P.K. Subban went between his last game of the 2011-12 campaign and finally re-signing with the Montreal Canadiens.
Between the lockout and his personal fight for a contract as a restricted free agent, it’s been a long process that ended on Monday with a two-year, $5.75 million agreement.
“I’d say ‘difficult’ is an understatement. It was extremely tough to watch as a player,” Subban said in a Canadiens’ report. “The toughest was watching the home opener and watching all the great players who have come through the Montreal organization and helped build this franchise.
“They’ve put in place that mentality that the Montreal Canadiens are a family and a team. That’s the most important thing about the Montreal Canadiens.”
Now he can finally put this all behind him and the healing process can begin. Winning back his teammates isn’t likely to take much work, but winning back some of the fans might be another story.
“I think about the fans all the time; I see them in my dreams,” Subban said. “I admire the fans and the support and the relationship we have. Obviously right now my focus needs to be on the team and that’s all I can control.
“With this process, I understand everybody will have their opinion, but I’m just looking forward to helping my team win. Everyone likes to see the Montreal Canadiens win.”
With that in mind, the big question will be how long it will take before Subban makes his season debut. He missed training camp, but has spent three-and-a-half hours a day training with the OHL Mississauga Steelheads. Even still, it would be surprising if Subban played tonight, especially seeing as the Canadiens are riding a three-game win streak going into their contest against the Winnipeg Jets.
“I’m always ready to play,” Subban said. “I’m ready to go whenever Marc and Michel Therrien give me the green light.”
Nov 24, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
The Penguins in general have been spending a lot of time in the sin bin.
Nov 24, 2014, 9:22 AM EST
He’ll be in Tampa Bay for the first time since the move on Wednesday.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:44 AM EST
David Pastrnak might make his NHL debut.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:02 AM EST
Monday’s collection of links.
Nov 24, 2014, 2:35 AM EST
He was 84.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:14 AM EST
Suffered a lower body injury Thursday night.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:50 AM EST
Arizona was playing in the second game of a back-to-back.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:33 PM EST
Keeps the game tied 1-1 in the second.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
Colorado returns to action on Tuesday night in Arizona.
Nov 23, 2014, 10:15 PM EST
Playing in his 1,000th NHL game tonight.
Nov 23, 2014, 9:15 PM EST
Didn’t get a penalty for bumping into the goaltender.
Nov 23, 2014, 8:58 PM EST
Scores his eighth of the season.
Nov 23, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
Was stretchered off the ice Saturday night.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Beauchemin and Perry have already missed games due to the disease this season.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Had two goals in two AHL games.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Chara placed on long-term injured reserve.
Nov 23, 2014, 6:25 PM EST
Paul Maurice irate with the penalty call.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:20 PM EST
Received a two minute boarding minor.
Nov 23, 2014, 5:03 PM EST
Not much of a margin for error for the banged-up B’s.
Nov 23, 2014, 4:14 PM EST
Seriously, this is pretty harsh.
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 2
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)