Jan 29, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
There’ll be an interesting dynamic at play on Tuesday when the San Jose Sharks host the Anaheim Ducks at HP Pavilion.
Referee Dave Jackson — No. 8 in your programs — is one of the two refs working the game, and that’s a pretty noteworthy assignment.
Jackson was the official largely responsible for igniting Sharks forward Ryane Clowe‘s emotional outburst during Sunday’s 4-1 victory over Vancouver:
Clowe, who racked up an impressive 35 penalty minutes on the night, had a pretty wild game.
He received a two-minute unsportsmanlike penalty prior to the opening faceoff — for jostling with Alex Burrows — then proceeded to rack up a five-minute fighting major, a holding the stick minor, a tripping minor, a high-sticking minor, another two-minute unsportsmanlike minor, a 10-minute misconduct (for arguing the high-sticking minor) and a game misconduct (ditto.)
Of note, all of this happened in the opening 40 minutes.
Jackson was the referee responsible for calling the final sequence, including Clowe’s ejection.
On Tuesday, Clowe was unapologetic for what transpired against the Canucks.
“There’s no secret how I play,” he explained to the San Jose Mercury News. “I’m an intense guy and I’m an emotional guy. I try to play on the edge and sometimes you go over. I don’t make any apologies for that.”
As for the spat with Jackson, Clowe said it was the high-sticking call (on Canucks defenseman Keith Ballard) that put him over the edge.
“It was a stupid call,” he said. “I tried to finish a guy and he just skated out of trouble. I don’t know if I even got a piece of him and the guy gives me a high-stick.
“It was just a constant march to the penalty box and it got frustrating.”
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (36)