Jan 29, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
There’ll be an interesting dynamic at play on Tuesday when the San Jose Sharks host the Anaheim Ducks at HP Pavilion.
Referee Dave Jackson — No. 8 in your programs — is one of the two refs working the game, and that’s a pretty noteworthy assignment.
Jackson was the official largely responsible for igniting Sharks forward Ryane Clowe‘s emotional outburst during Sunday’s 4-1 victory over Vancouver:
Clowe, who racked up an impressive 35 penalty minutes on the night, had a pretty wild game.
He received a two-minute unsportsmanlike penalty prior to the opening faceoff — for jostling with Alex Burrows — then proceeded to rack up a five-minute fighting major, a holding the stick minor, a tripping minor, a high-sticking minor, another two-minute unsportsmanlike minor, a 10-minute misconduct (for arguing the high-sticking minor) and a game misconduct (ditto.)
Of note, all of this happened in the opening 40 minutes.
Jackson was the referee responsible for calling the final sequence, including Clowe’s ejection.
On Tuesday, Clowe was unapologetic for what transpired against the Canucks.
“There’s no secret how I play,” he explained to the San Jose Mercury News. “I’m an intense guy and I’m an emotional guy. I try to play on the edge and sometimes you go over. I don’t make any apologies for that.”
As for the spat with Jackson, Clowe said it was the high-sticking call (on Canucks defenseman Keith Ballard) that put him over the edge.
“It was a stupid call,” he said. “I tried to finish a guy and he just skated out of trouble. I don’t know if I even got a piece of him and the guy gives me a high-stick.
“It was just a constant march to the penalty box and it got frustrating.”
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 101
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (101)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)