Jan 29, 2013, 4:10 PM EDT
There’ll be an interesting dynamic at play on Tuesday when the San Jose Sharks host the Anaheim Ducks at HP Pavilion.
Referee Dave Jackson — No. 8 in your programs — is one of the two refs working the game, and that’s a pretty noteworthy assignment.
Jackson was the official largely responsible for igniting Sharks forward Ryane Clowe‘s emotional outburst during Sunday’s 4-1 victory over Vancouver:
Clowe, who racked up an impressive 35 penalty minutes on the night, had a pretty wild game.
He received a two-minute unsportsmanlike penalty prior to the opening faceoff — for jostling with Alex Burrows — then proceeded to rack up a five-minute fighting major, a holding the stick minor, a tripping minor, a high-sticking minor, another two-minute unsportsmanlike minor, a 10-minute misconduct (for arguing the high-sticking minor) and a game misconduct (ditto.)
Of note, all of this happened in the opening 40 minutes.
Jackson was the referee responsible for calling the final sequence, including Clowe’s ejection.
On Tuesday, Clowe was unapologetic for what transpired against the Canucks.
“There’s no secret how I play,” he explained to the San Jose Mercury News. “I’m an intense guy and I’m an emotional guy. I try to play on the edge and sometimes you go over. I don’t make any apologies for that.”
As for the spat with Jackson, Clowe said it was the high-sticking call (on Canucks defenseman Keith Ballard) that put him over the edge.
“It was a stupid call,” he said. “I tried to finish a guy and he just skated out of trouble. I don’t know if I even got a piece of him and the guy gives me a high-stick.
“It was just a constant march to the penalty box and it got frustrating.”
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)