Jan 29, 2013, 4:10 PM EST
There’ll be an interesting dynamic at play on Tuesday when the San Jose Sharks host the Anaheim Ducks at HP Pavilion.
Referee Dave Jackson — No. 8 in your programs — is one of the two refs working the game, and that’s a pretty noteworthy assignment.
Jackson was the official largely responsible for igniting Sharks forward Ryane Clowe‘s emotional outburst during Sunday’s 4-1 victory over Vancouver:
Clowe, who racked up an impressive 35 penalty minutes on the night, had a pretty wild game.
He received a two-minute unsportsmanlike penalty prior to the opening faceoff — for jostling with Alex Burrows — then proceeded to rack up a five-minute fighting major, a holding the stick minor, a tripping minor, a high-sticking minor, another two-minute unsportsmanlike minor, a 10-minute misconduct (for arguing the high-sticking minor) and a game misconduct (ditto.)
Of note, all of this happened in the opening 40 minutes.
Jackson was the referee responsible for calling the final sequence, including Clowe’s ejection.
On Tuesday, Clowe was unapologetic for what transpired against the Canucks.
“There’s no secret how I play,” he explained to the San Jose Mercury News. “I’m an intense guy and I’m an emotional guy. I try to play on the edge and sometimes you go over. I don’t make any apologies for that.”
As for the spat with Jackson, Clowe said it was the high-sticking call (on Canucks defenseman Keith Ballard) that put him over the edge.
“It was a stupid call,” he said. “I tried to finish a guy and he just skated out of trouble. I don’t know if I even got a piece of him and the guy gives me a high-stick.
“It was just a constant march to the penalty box and it got frustrating.”
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 17
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 74
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (74)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)