Jan 29, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
Not a whole lot of news to pass along, so here are some stats to chew on…
1. Anaheim’s Daniel Winnik has five goals in the Ducks’ first four games. Even more impressively, all five have been scored even strength. Winnik had five goals for Colorado last season…in 63 games.
2. Andrei Markov has scored the game-winning goal in each of Montreal’s three victories. Sometimes people forget how good Markov, 34, was before all his injury problems. In 2008-09, he had 64 points in 78 games. If he can stay healthy, the Habs have a shot at the playoffs.
3. Ottawa’s Craig Anderson leads all NHL goalies with a .975 save percentage. The 31-year-old has stopped all but three of the 119 shots he’s faced in four games.
4. Alex Ovechkin has spent a league-high 33:29 on the power play…and he only has one goal. In 2007-08, Ovechkin led the NHL with 22 power-play goals.
5. Drew Doughty has yet to register his first point of the season, despite playing almost 30 minutes per game in the Kings’ first five contests. Offense was an issue for the 23-year-old last year as well, when he tallied just 36 points, significantly fewer than the 59 he registered in 2008-09. Granted, he turned it around during the playoffs, racking up 16 points in 20 games on the way to winning the Stanley Cup. And to be fair to Doughty, much of a defenseman’s point total is related to the effectiveness of the forwards when they get the puck. The Kings have just 10 goals so far.
6. The Florida Panthers (1-4-0) have a minus-11 goal differential, the worst in the NHL. After beating Carolina, 5-1, in their first game of the season, the Panthers have lost four in a row by a combined score of 18-3. It’s worth noting Florida’s goal differential last season was minus-24, by far the worst of the 16 playoff teams.
7. The Canucks have blown a pair of 2-0 leads in their first six games. Last Sunday, they took a 2-0 lead on Edmonton and lost 3-2 in a shootout. Last night, the exact same thing happened in Los Angeles. Oh, and both times Roberto Luongo was in goal. (Update: This isn’t a criticism of Luongo, who was outstanding against the Kings. Just thought I’d point it out, given the guy’s made two starts this year and the Canucks have blown 2-0 leads in both.)
8. Only one team has yet to surrender a power-play goal, and that’s the Boston Bruins, who are a perfect 23-for-23 on the penalty kill. In a partially related story, the B’s haven’t lost in regulation yet.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:48 AM EDT
Feel free to change that to “lose.”
Mar 31, 2015, 12:22 AM EDT
The overall damage is currently unclear.
Mar 30, 2015, 11:44 PM EDT
And how good is life for the Calgary Flames?
Mar 30, 2015, 11:13 PM EDT
Chicago ran Los Angeles out of the rink on Monday.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:55 PM EDT
Just a minor penalty.
Mar 30, 2015, 10:21 PM EDT
Tampa Bay sweeps season series vs. Montreal.
Mar 30, 2015, 9:21 PM EDT
Not exactly fearing the jinx.
Mar 30, 2015, 8:28 PM EDT
He’s a trooper.
Mar 30, 2015, 8:02 PM EDT
A new wrinkle to the rivalry.
Mar 30, 2015, 7:35 PM EDT
He shakes off Saturday’s scary crash.
Mar 30, 2015, 7:03 PM EDT
Could he be ahead of schedule?
Mar 30, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Mar 30, 2015, 5:33 PM EDT
L.A.’s first time back in Chicago since Game 7 of last year’s Western Conference Final.
Mar 30, 2015, 4:29 PM EDT
No more James Wisniewski.
Mar 30, 2015, 3:56 PM EDT
Could be helpful in attracting and retaining free agents.
Mar 30, 2015, 3:46 PM EDT
The drive began by focusing on individuals for season ticket packages.
Mar 30, 2015, 3:06 PM EDT
“I think it’s going to come right down to the morning skate.”
Mar 30, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 30, 2015, 1:59 PM EDT
Flyers d-man has a lower-body injury.
Mar 30, 2015, 1:58 PM EDT
“A win tonight would be good for our team, both physically and mentally.”
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18