Jan 29, 2013, 7:09 PM EDT
Former NHL player George Laraque had his Quebec-area home raided on Tuesday as part of a fraud investigation.
Laraque, 36, was subjected to a search warrant and raid by Longueuil police (Longueuil sits across the St. Lawrence River from Montreal.)
Constable Mark David didn’t offer up any specifics or details regarding the investigation, saying only that police seized documents in relation to the investigation and that no arrests were made.
CTV Montreal spoke with Laraque about the raid, and he confirmed it did occur.
More, from CTV:
He said he was not surprised, and said police were looking for documents in connection with an ongoing legal dispute with a former business partner.
Laraque and Montreal-based engineer Marc Filion formed a company called Super-Glide Canada in 2009 to distribute synthetic ice panels. Laraque has since accused Filion of taking company money to pay off debt, and apparently filed a lawsuit against Filion.
Filion decided to counter-sue, accusing Laraque of fraud, but refused to say why.
Laraque told CTV the documents seized from his home were related to with the minutes of company meetings.
Laraque currently serves as a commentator for French-language TVA Sports and as the deputy leader of Canada’s Green Party.
He was also previously involved in the fledgling Canadian Hockey League Players’ Association (which he quit in November).
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 13
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 48
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (48)