Jan 29, 2013, 7:09 PM EDT
Former NHL player George Laraque had his Quebec-area home raided on Tuesday as part of a fraud investigation.
Laraque, 36, was subjected to a search warrant and raid by Longueuil police (Longueuil sits across the St. Lawrence River from Montreal.)
Constable Mark David didn’t offer up any specifics or details regarding the investigation, saying only that police seized documents in relation to the investigation and that no arrests were made.
CTV Montreal spoke with Laraque about the raid, and he confirmed it did occur.
More, from CTV:
He said he was not surprised, and said police were looking for documents in connection with an ongoing legal dispute with a former business partner.
Laraque and Montreal-based engineer Marc Filion formed a company called Super-Glide Canada in 2009 to distribute synthetic ice panels. Laraque has since accused Filion of taking company money to pay off debt, and apparently filed a lawsuit against Filion.
Filion decided to counter-sue, accusing Laraque of fraud, but refused to say why.
Laraque told CTV the documents seized from his home were related to with the minutes of company meetings.
Laraque currently serves as a commentator for French-language TVA Sports and as the deputy leader of Canada’s Green Party.
He was also previously involved in the fledgling Canadian Hockey League Players’ Association (which he quit in November).
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)