Jan 29, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
Not this season, at least.
The club announced today that Lack has had hip surgery and will take six months to recover.
“After consultation with our team physicians, it was deemed that Eddie Lack would require a procedure on his hip,” said Canucks general manager Mike Gillis in a statement. “We expect Eddie to make a complete recovery and continue his professional career after a successful rehabilitation program.”
Prior to today’s announcement, there were already concerns that Lack wasn’t ready to take the No. 2 spot on the Canucks. Though the 25-year-old’s AHL numbers have been very good, he’s yet make his NHL debut.
It’s doubtful Lack’s surgery will change Gillis’s willingness to move Luongo; however, it will require Gillis to acquire a back-up should Luongo be dealt.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5