Jan 29, 2013, 5:02 PM EST
Not this season, at least.
The club announced today that Lack has had hip surgery and will take six months to recover.
“After consultation with our team physicians, it was deemed that Eddie Lack would require a procedure on his hip,” said Canucks general manager Mike Gillis in a statement. “We expect Eddie to make a complete recovery and continue his professional career after a successful rehabilitation program.”
Prior to today’s announcement, there were already concerns that Lack wasn’t ready to take the No. 2 spot on the Canucks. Though the 25-year-old’s AHL numbers have been very good, he’s yet make his NHL debut.
It’s doubtful Lack’s surgery will change Gillis’s willingness to move Luongo; however, it will require Gillis to acquire a back-up should Luongo be dealt.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 37
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 59
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 18
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 35
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 12
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 50
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 53
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 68
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)