Jan 29, 2013, 5:02 PM EST
Not this season, at least.
The club announced today that Lack has had hip surgery and will take six months to recover.
“After consultation with our team physicians, it was deemed that Eddie Lack would require a procedure on his hip,” said Canucks general manager Mike Gillis in a statement. “We expect Eddie to make a complete recovery and continue his professional career after a successful rehabilitation program.”
Prior to today’s announcement, there were already concerns that Lack wasn’t ready to take the No. 2 spot on the Canucks. Though the 25-year-old’s AHL numbers have been very good, he’s yet make his NHL debut.
It’s doubtful Lack’s surgery will change Gillis’s willingness to move Luongo; however, it will require Gillis to acquire a back-up should Luongo be dealt.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 14
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)