Jan 29, 2013, 5:02 PM EST
Not this season, at least.
The club announced today that Lack has had hip surgery and will take six months to recover.
“After consultation with our team physicians, it was deemed that Eddie Lack would require a procedure on his hip,” said Canucks general manager Mike Gillis in a statement. “We expect Eddie to make a complete recovery and continue his professional career after a successful rehabilitation program.”
Prior to today’s announcement, there were already concerns that Lack wasn’t ready to take the No. 2 spot on the Canucks. Though the 25-year-old’s AHL numbers have been very good, he’s yet make his NHL debut.
It’s doubtful Lack’s surgery will change Gillis’s willingness to move Luongo; however, it will require Gillis to acquire a back-up should Luongo be dealt.
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 2
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 20
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 29
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)