Jan 29, 2013, 2:07 PM EDT
Former NHL referee Kerry Fraser said Alex Burrows‘ spin move in Monday’s shootout loss to Los Angeles was legal — just unfair.
“The right decision was made by the referee to allow Burrows to continue with the shootout attempt following his ‘creative’ move on Kings goalie Jonathan Quick,” Fraser said in his weekly column for TSN. “While I would have also allowed the play to continue as per the rules, I believe that an unfair advantage is being given to the shooters over the goalkeepers on plays such as this.”
In case you haven’t seen it yet, here’s the move in question (FF to :28)
More, from Fraser:
The rules governing the shootout are the same as those listed under Rule 24 – Penalty Shot. It is important to familiarize yourself with Rule 24.2 – Procedure which I list here in point form:
– The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete.
– No goal can be scored on a rebound of any kind (an exception being the puck off the goal post or crossbar, then the goalkeeper and then directly into the goal), and any time the puck crosses the goal line or comes to a complete stop, the shot shall be considered complete.
– The spin-o-rama type move when the player competes a 360 degree turn as he approaches the goal, shall be permitted as this involves continuous motion. However, should the puck come to a complete stop at any time during the shot attempt, the shot shall be stopped and no goal will be the result.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that, had Burrows’ move worked, the NHL would’ve deemed it a good goal.
McKenzie also expects that move and ones similar in nature will likely be brought up at the next general managers’ meeting.
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 6
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 51
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 24
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 18
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 14
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)