Jan 29, 2013, 2:07 PM EDT
Former NHL referee Kerry Fraser said Alex Burrows‘ spin move in Monday’s shootout loss to Los Angeles was legal — just unfair.
“The right decision was made by the referee to allow Burrows to continue with the shootout attempt following his ‘creative’ move on Kings goalie Jonathan Quick,” Fraser said in his weekly column for TSN. “While I would have also allowed the play to continue as per the rules, I believe that an unfair advantage is being given to the shooters over the goalkeepers on plays such as this.”
In case you haven’t seen it yet, here’s the move in question (FF to :28)
More, from Fraser:
The rules governing the shootout are the same as those listed under Rule 24 – Penalty Shot. It is important to familiarize yourself with Rule 24.2 – Procedure which I list here in point form:
- The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete.
- No goal can be scored on a rebound of any kind (an exception being the puck off the goal post or crossbar, then the goalkeeper and then directly into the goal), and any time the puck crosses the goal line or comes to a complete stop, the shot shall be considered complete.
- The spin-o-rama type move when the player competes a 360 degree turn as he approaches the goal, shall be permitted as this involves continuous motion. However, should the puck come to a complete stop at any time during the shot attempt, the shot shall be stopped and no goal will be the result.
TSN’s Bob McKenzie reports that, had Burrows’ move worked, the NHL would’ve deemed it a good goal.
McKenzie also expects that move and ones similar in nature will likely be brought up at the next general managers’ meeting.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 24
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)