Jan 29, 2013, 11:31 PM EDT
Brad Marchand, recently in the news for accusing Carolina Hurricanes forward Jeff Skinner of slew-footing, scored the shootout winner for the surging Boston Bruins.
The Bruins defeated the New Jersey Devils 2-1 thanks to the skills competition, which apparently at one point turned into a bit of a sausage fest.
According to Michael Hurley of CBS Boston, a hunk of food, reported to be anything from a sausage to a piece of bread, came down from the stands at TD Garden in Boston just as Bruins forward Tyler Seguin was making his shootout attempt.
Seguin actually scored, despite the flying food — but, in accordance with NHL rule 24.4…
If, while the penalty shot is being taken, a spectator throws any object onto the ice or, in the judgment of the Referee, interferes with the player taking the shot or the goalkeeper defending the shot, he shall permit the shot be taken again.
Tonight marked the first time the Bruins played in back-to-back nights. “You really tried to utilize your four lines,” head coach Claude Julien told The Boston Herald.
The win also gives the Bruins their best start since the 1970-71 season.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)