Jan 29, 2013, 1:52 PM EDT
“Skinner slew-foots all the time,” Marchand told WEEI, referencing an incident from Monday’s 5-3 win involving Skinner and Patrice Bergeron. “He’s always doing that to guys and I think Bergy just had enough of it. We even spoke about it before the game in the room.
“The guys were talking about how much he slew foots and you’ve got to watch out for him. You can see it’s very blatant. He kicks his legs out and throws him back.”
Here’s video of the incident, with the *alleged* Skinner slew foot on Bergeron occurring behind the Boston goal at the five second mark:
As Marchand alluded to, this is not the first time Skinner’s come under fire for slew-footing.
Last March, the ‘Canes forward was said to have taken out Washington defenseman Dmitry Orlov with a similar move.
“If you can get a hold of the tape, you can clearly see his leg come out and trip him there,” one Caps player told The Washington Times on the condition of anonymity. “That’s a terribly dangerous play.”
The NHL reviewed the play, but deemed the play a trip, not a slew-foot.
A few days after the Orlov incident, Skinner was suspended two games for kicking Blues forward Scott Nichol, furthering his reputation as a guy that likes to use his feet for nefarious deeds:
It should be noted that if anybody’s qualified to identify a slew-foot, it’s Marchand. He was fined for one last year (on Pittsburgh’s Matt Niskanen) and said he regretting doing such a “greasy play.”
“[Skinner's] got to stop doing that,” Marchand said. “If he does it again, I wouldn’t be surprised if a guy got up and took exception. It’s just not a good play.”
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 7
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 7
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39