Jan 29, 2013, 3:32 PM EDT
Matt Anderson’s dream will come true tonight at the TD Garden in Boston.
“It was pretty surreal,” Anderson told NorthJersey.com about getting summoned to the bigs. “It’s a phone call you always hope that you get.
“You think about it and you think how it would happen and I always said to myself, I’d never expect it. It would be at the least expected time.”
Here’s more on Anderson’s long journey to the NHL:
During his five years at UMass-Amherst, he twice endured season-ending injuries. He had right shoulder surgery during his freshman season of 2002-03 that also caused him to miss the entire 2003-04 season. Then, after he finally returned in 2004-05 to put up seven goals and 13 assists in the first 18 games, he broke his ankle and again missed the rest of the season.
After his college career was over, Anderson signed as an undrafted free agent with the Chicago Wolves of the AHL in 2007. He signed an AHL deal with Albany in 2010 and a strong 2010-11 season in which he had 23 goals and 32 assists earned him a two-way NHL contract with the Devils the next summer.
Anderson played six full seasons in the AHL before getting the call and while his story is a good one, it’s not entirely original.
Last year, the Florida Panthers called up 30-year-old Bracken Kearns in late October for his NHL debut against Buffalo. Kearns went on to appear in five games for the Panthers.
Oh, and in case you’re wondering, the oldest player to ever make his NHL debut was defenseman Connie Madigan. He spent almost two full decades playing in the minors before the St. Louis Blues called him up during the 1972-73 season — when Madigan was 38 years old.
May 23, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
Torey Krug, Dougie Hamilton (and Matt Bartkowski) all expected to stick.
May 23, 2013, 3:49 PM EDT
Shutting down the Blackhawks will do that.
May 23, 2013, 3:30 PM EDT
But Drew Doughty says Galiardi is the biggest diver on the Sharks, so there.
May 23, 2013, 3:00 PM EDT
For a headshot on Flyers prospect Taylor Leier.
May 23, 2013, 2:48 PM EDT
Good news for Phoenix hockey fans? (Or just…news.)
May 23, 2013, 2:34 PM EDT
“You don’t win a Stanley Cup without going through something like that.”
May 23, 2013, 2:07 PM EDT
It’s not pretty.
May 23, 2013, 2:01 PM EDT
What happens to the coach if the Rangers get swept tonight?
May 23, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
When asked if Ottawa could come back from a 3-1 series deficit against Pittsburgh, he said “probably not.”
May 23, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
“That’s the way he plays.”
May 23, 2013, 12:21 PM EDT
It would cost them $24 million over 14 years.
May 23, 2013, 11:36 AM EDT
Cue the buyout speculation.
May 23, 2013, 11:34 AM EDT
Will he be challenging Ryan Miller for it?
May 23, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT
The home of the Oilers’ AHL affiliate.
May 23, 2013, 10:54 AM EDT
He’s frustrated nothing got done in Calgary.
May 23, 2013, 10:45 AM EDT
The big unveiling will be on June 4.
May 23, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
He constructed the silver medal-winning team at the 2010 games in Vancouver.
May 23, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
“It’s been pretty quiet for a while now.”
May 23, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
“(Gillis’) fault all the way.”
May 23, 2013, 8:02 AM EDT
Additionally, Chicago will play Detroit and the Kings will host the Sharks.
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 35
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 19
- Richards made a healthy scratch for Game 4 33
- Don Cherry: Canucks GM Gillis threw coaches ‘under the bus’ 26
- Playoffs Tonight: Bruins know series vs Rangers isn’t over 19
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 20
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 75
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 107
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 21
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 33
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (107)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (100)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement