Jan 29, 2013, 3:32 PM EST
Matt Anderson’s dream will come true tonight at the TD Garden in Boston.
“It was pretty surreal,” Anderson told NorthJersey.com about getting summoned to the bigs. “It’s a phone call you always hope that you get.
“You think about it and you think how it would happen and I always said to myself, I’d never expect it. It would be at the least expected time.”
Here’s more on Anderson’s long journey to the NHL:
During his five years at UMass-Amherst, he twice endured season-ending injuries. He had right shoulder surgery during his freshman season of 2002-03 that also caused him to miss the entire 2003-04 season. Then, after he finally returned in 2004-05 to put up seven goals and 13 assists in the first 18 games, he broke his ankle and again missed the rest of the season.
After his college career was over, Anderson signed as an undrafted free agent with the Chicago Wolves of the AHL in 2007. He signed an AHL deal with Albany in 2010 and a strong 2010-11 season in which he had 23 goals and 32 assists earned him a two-way NHL contract with the Devils the next summer.
Anderson played six full seasons in the AHL before getting the call and while his story is a good one, it’s not entirely original.
Last year, the Florida Panthers called up 30-year-old Bracken Kearns in late October for his NHL debut against Buffalo. Kearns went on to appear in five games for the Panthers.
Oh, and in case you’re wondering, the oldest player to ever make his NHL debut was defenseman Connie Madigan. He spent almost two full decades playing in the minors before the St. Louis Blues called him up during the 1972-73 season — when Madigan was 38 years old.
Nov 22, 2014, 1:45 AM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 12:40 AM EST
Booed off the ice at the end of this game.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:52 PM EST
It was nice.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:29 PM EST
Going from bad to worse for Edmonton.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:51 PM EST
Lucic didn’t drop his gloves. Prout did. History between these two.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:17 PM EST
There’s a history between these two.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:02 PM EST
Columbus was leading 2-0 at the time.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EST
Ranks seventh in the NHL in ice time.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:49 PM EST
Possible headbutt in this fight?
Nov 21, 2014, 8:11 PM EST
They’ve won big and they’ve lost big.
Nov 21, 2014, 7:14 PM EST
A San Jose draft pick from 2008.
Nov 21, 2014, 6:37 PM EST
Avs call up a trio of players from the AHL.
Nov 21, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
“I really feel bad for him. It appears his parents mismanaged his money.”
Nov 21, 2014, 4:40 PM EST
Pursuant to the “Bona Fide Long-Term Injury Exception” section of the CBA.
Nov 21, 2014, 4:21 PM EST
That’s a guy shoveling snow off his roof in Buffalo.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EST
D-man for d-man.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:17 PM EST
Currently out of the playoff picture in the Western Conference.
Nov 21, 2014, 2:29 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Nov 21, 2014, 2:21 PM EST
Even coach DeBoer is surprised a backup hasn’t started yet.
Nov 21, 2014, 1:30 PM EST
Veteran Avs forward won’t play Saturday against Carolina.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)