Jan 28, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT
Given that most Flames-related pitchman work goes to Jarome Iginla or Mike Cammallieri (or Lanny McDonald — see here and here and here), defenseman Mark Giordano was probably surprised as anyone when ATB Financial approached him for a commercial spot.
Not that he had any problem getting into character, mind you:
“It was fun,” he told the Calgary Sun about filming a TV spot. “It was an eye-opener on that side of things. Behind the scenes, all the work that goes into these things, is pretty cool.
“Now, I know what Iggy and Cammy have gone through to shoot those things, but we had a lot of fun doing it.”
Though not a huge hitter — he only has two in four games this year, and had just 84 in 61 games a year ago — Giordano said that taking the body was much more familiar than, say, having to read and recite a script.
“I was surprised when the opportunity came up, but I thought it was good and jumped all over it,” he explained. “I’m glad they didn’t give me any lines.
“That would have been a disaster.”
Oh, and in case you’re curious, those aren’t the “original” Vancouver Green Men in the commercial. They auditioned for it, but someone else got the gig. That should make for some good material when they re-release their book. (Yeah, the Green Men wrote a book.)
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 0
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 16
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 22
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 59
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (145)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (99)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)