Jan 28, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT
Given that most Flames-related pitchman work goes to Jarome Iginla or Mike Cammallieri (or Lanny McDonald — see here and here and here), defenseman Mark Giordano was probably surprised as anyone when ATB Financial approached him for a commercial spot.
Not that he had any problem getting into character, mind you:
“It was fun,” he told the Calgary Sun about filming a TV spot. “It was an eye-opener on that side of things. Behind the scenes, all the work that goes into these things, is pretty cool.
“Now, I know what Iggy and Cammy have gone through to shoot those things, but we had a lot of fun doing it.”
Though not a huge hitter — he only has two in four games this year, and had just 84 in 61 games a year ago — Giordano said that taking the body was much more familiar than, say, having to read and recite a script.
“I was surprised when the opportunity came up, but I thought it was good and jumped all over it,” he explained. “I’m glad they didn’t give me any lines.
“That would have been a disaster.”
Oh, and in case you’re curious, those aren’t the “original” Vancouver Green Men in the commercial. They auditioned for it, but someone else got the gig. That should make for some good material when they re-release their book. (Yeah, the Green Men wrote a book.)
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5