Jan 28, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT
Given that most Flames-related pitchman work goes to Jarome Iginla or Mike Cammallieri (or Lanny McDonald — see here and here and here), defenseman Mark Giordano was probably surprised as anyone when ATB Financial approached him for a commercial spot.
Not that he had any problem getting into character, mind you:
“It was fun,” he told the Calgary Sun about filming a TV spot. “It was an eye-opener on that side of things. Behind the scenes, all the work that goes into these things, is pretty cool.
“Now, I know what Iggy and Cammy have gone through to shoot those things, but we had a lot of fun doing it.”
Though not a huge hitter — he only has two in four games this year, and had just 84 in 61 games a year ago — Giordano said that taking the body was much more familiar than, say, having to read and recite a script.
“I was surprised when the opportunity came up, but I thought it was good and jumped all over it,” he explained. “I’m glad they didn’t give me any lines.
“That would have been a disaster.”
Oh, and in case you’re curious, those aren’t the “original” Vancouver Green Men in the commercial. They auditioned for it, but someone else got the gig. That should make for some good material when they re-release their book. (Yeah, the Green Men wrote a book.)
- Rangers foiled by Sharks’ Niemi, controversial no-goal 17
- Blues’ Tarasenko will undergo hand surgery, out at least six weeks 3
- Help’s on the way: Letang, Bennett cleared for practices 9
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 4
- NHL on NBC: Penguins and Flyers resume rivalry as playoff race continues 7
- Discuss: Habs overcome three-goal deficit, beat Senators in overtime 17
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 3
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)