Jan 28, 2013, 12:11 PM EDT
Given that most Flames-related pitchman work goes to Jarome Iginla or Mike Cammallieri (or Lanny McDonald — see here and here and here), defenseman Mark Giordano was probably surprised as anyone when ATB Financial approached him for a commercial spot.
Not that he had any problem getting into character, mind you:
“It was fun,” he told the Calgary Sun about filming a TV spot. “It was an eye-opener on that side of things. Behind the scenes, all the work that goes into these things, is pretty cool.
“Now, I know what Iggy and Cammy have gone through to shoot those things, but we had a lot of fun doing it.”
Though not a huge hitter — he only has two in four games this year, and had just 84 in 61 games a year ago — Giordano said that taking the body was much more familiar than, say, having to read and recite a script.
“I was surprised when the opportunity came up, but I thought it was good and jumped all over it,” he explained. “I’m glad they didn’t give me any lines.
“That would have been a disaster.”
Oh, and in case you’re curious, those aren’t the “original” Vancouver Green Men in the commercial. They auditioned for it, but someone else got the gig. That should make for some good material when they re-release their book. (Yeah, the Green Men wrote a book.)
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 12
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 39
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6