Jan 28, 2013, 12:27 PM EDT
Toronto Star columnist Damien Cox thinks the Maple Leafs should trade their “ill-conditioned, isolated, troubled or simply massively unlucky” sniper, Phil Kessel.
The column’s timing is no surprise. Kessel doesn’t have a goal in his first five games. And while the 25-year-old’s dry streak isn’t for a lack of chances, it’s still a major topic of conversation in Toronto.
The column also comes just weeks after general manager Brian Burke – the man who acquired Kessel from Boston in a much-criticized trade – was fired.
Here’s how Cox sees it:
Kessel cost the Leafs a great deal, as much, perhaps, in prestige as in actual assets. Indeed, that deal may ultimately have cost Burke his job.
That’s not to blame Kessel for the state of the team, although as the star forward, he has to shoulder his fair share.
Personality-wise, this just hasn’t been a fit. Like Andrea Bargnani, he could be a nice secondary piece on a good team.
On a young, struggling team, however, he can’t be the front man.
Beyond that, if you’re the Leafs, you don’t want to be the team that has to figure out what to pay Kessel once his current deal ends at the conclusion of next season.
At a $5.4 million cap hit ($5.1 million in real money this season), he’s affordable given his stats and goal-scoring ability.
At $7 million, or $8 million, it will be much different. And that’s what he’ll be able to demand.
Agree or disagree with Cox’s take, don’t expect the debate to go away anytime soon. That is, unless new GM Dave Nonis comes out and says a trade isn’t going to happen. (And even then, is Nonis telling the truth?)
Of course, it should be noted Nonis just signed Kessel’s line mate, Joffrey Lupul, to a five-year, $26.25 million contract extension – a move the Globe and Mail’s James Mirtle called a “clear indication” that Nonis wants to keep Kessel.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
They don’t mind killing off his penalties.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:57 AM EDT
It’s no secret that they’re losing a lot of money.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:01 AM EDT
Click the link to see the pictures.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:43 AM EDT
The goaltender was sent to the AHL for a pair of games over the weekend.
Oct 20, 2014, 12:22 AM EDT
Was hit by a Ryan Suter point shot in the second period.
Oct 19, 2014, 10:56 PM EDT
Defenseman Sami Vatanen has first career two-goal game
Oct 19, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT
Five years with an annual average value of $4.6 million.
Oct 19, 2014, 9:46 PM EDT
Responds to being a healthy scratch by showing up on the scoresheet.
Oct 19, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
Suffered shoulder injury Saturday.
Oct 19, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
Lundqvist makes 33 saves for his first shutout of the season.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:42 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Anton Forsberg recalled from Springfield.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
St. Louis and Nash give Rangers a 3-0 lead after 40 minutes.
Oct 19, 2014, 7:00 PM EDT
St. Louis visits Anaheim tonight.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Placed on IR.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:23 PM EDT
Appeared in two AHL games on conditioning assignment.
Oct 19, 2014, 6:03 PM EDT
L.A. hangs on for 2-1 win.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:43 PM EDT
He’s played in 878 career games.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
Jokipakka recalled. Nichushkin placed on IR.
Oct 19, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT
That could have ended badly.
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 3
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 6
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Miller suffers upper body injury in Bruins win 3
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ 45
- Report: Islanders were sold for $485 million 8
- Scrivens believes Oilers are ‘starting to build winning habits’ 9
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (119)
- Discuss: Avs beat B’s with last-second — literally! — goal (64)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Panthers set another record with low attendance (56)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (53)