Jan 28, 2013, 3:52 PM EST
After failing to latch on with an NHL club — most notably, the New Jersey Devils — Petr Sykora is headed back to Europe.
On Monday, Swiss club SC Bern announced they signed the 36-year-old winger for the remainder of the season.
A two-time Stanley Cup winner that scored 21 goals and 44 points with the Devils a year ago, Sykora said he felt confident about landing an NHL gig this year, telling the Newark Star-Ledger he had one lined up if things with New Jersey didn’t work out.
Sykora didn’t go to camp with the Devils but remainder in contact with the club and GM Lou Lamoriello throughout.
The two sides have an extensive history with one another — it was Lamoriello who offered Sykora a chance to return to the NHL after he spent the 2010-11 season split between the Czech Extraliga and KHL.
With Bern, Sykora will join journeyman Byron Ritchie as one of the few players with extensive NHL experience.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)