Jan 28, 2013, 3:52 PM EST
After failing to latch on with an NHL club — most notably, the New Jersey Devils — Petr Sykora is headed back to Europe.
On Monday, Swiss club SC Bern announced they signed the 36-year-old winger for the remainder of the season.
A two-time Stanley Cup winner that scored 21 goals and 44 points with the Devils a year ago, Sykora said he felt confident about landing an NHL gig this year, telling the Newark Star-Ledger he had one lined up if things with New Jersey didn’t work out.
Sykora didn’t go to camp with the Devils but remainder in contact with the club and GM Lou Lamoriello throughout.
The two sides have an extensive history with one another — it was Lamoriello who offered Sykora a chance to return to the NHL after he spent the 2010-11 season split between the Czech Extraliga and KHL.
With Bern, Sykora will join journeyman Byron Ritchie as one of the few players with extensive NHL experience.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 17
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)