Jan 28, 2013, 3:52 PM EST
After failing to latch on with an NHL club — most notably, the New Jersey Devils — Petr Sykora is headed back to Europe.
On Monday, Swiss club SC Bern announced they signed the 36-year-old winger for the remainder of the season.
A two-time Stanley Cup winner that scored 21 goals and 44 points with the Devils a year ago, Sykora said he felt confident about landing an NHL gig this year, telling the Newark Star-Ledger he had one lined up if things with New Jersey didn’t work out.
Sykora didn’t go to camp with the Devils but remainder in contact with the club and GM Lou Lamoriello throughout.
The two sides have an extensive history with one another — it was Lamoriello who offered Sykora a chance to return to the NHL after he spent the 2010-11 season split between the Czech Extraliga and KHL.
With Bern, Sykora will join journeyman Byron Ritchie as one of the few players with extensive NHL experience.
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 21
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updayed) 36
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 58
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 33
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 56
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 165
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 53
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (165)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand (61)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)