Jan 28, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
After failing to latch on with an NHL club — most notably, the New Jersey Devils — Petr Sykora is headed back to Europe.
On Monday, Swiss club SC Bern announced they signed the 36-year-old winger for the remainder of the season.
A two-time Stanley Cup winner that scored 21 goals and 44 points with the Devils a year ago, Sykora said he felt confident about landing an NHL gig this year, telling the Newark Star-Ledger he had one lined up if things with New Jersey didn’t work out.
Sykora didn’t go to camp with the Devils but remainder in contact with the club and GM Lou Lamoriello throughout.
The two sides have an extensive history with one another — it was Lamoriello who offered Sykora a chance to return to the NHL after he spent the 2010-11 season split between the Czech Extraliga and KHL.
With Bern, Sykora will join journeyman Byron Ritchie as one of the few players with extensive NHL experience.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 27
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 76
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (77)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)