Jan 28, 2013, 3:52 PM EDT
After failing to latch on with an NHL club — most notably, the New Jersey Devils — Petr Sykora is headed back to Europe.
On Monday, Swiss club SC Bern announced they signed the 36-year-old winger for the remainder of the season.
A two-time Stanley Cup winner that scored 21 goals and 44 points with the Devils a year ago, Sykora said he felt confident about landing an NHL gig this year, telling the Newark Star-Ledger he had one lined up if things with New Jersey didn’t work out.
Sykora didn’t go to camp with the Devils but remainder in contact with the club and GM Lou Lamoriello throughout.
The two sides have an extensive history with one another — it was Lamoriello who offered Sykora a chance to return to the NHL after he spent the 2010-11 season split between the Czech Extraliga and KHL.
With Bern, Sykora will join journeyman Byron Ritchie as one of the few players with extensive NHL experience.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 22
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 48
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)