Jan 28, 2013, 7:03 PM EST
If you expected strong overseas play to translate into early-season results, then Tyler Seguin was likely one of the guys you’d expect to have a hot start.
Instead, he’s managed just an assist in four games for the Boston Bruins so far, so the 20-year-old told CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty that he’s trying to break out of that funk.
“I’m working on things,” Seguin said. “I’ve had pressure on myself since I didn’t have a goal after one period in the first game [of the year]. You’ve just got to not get frustrated. You know when you get one that you’ll get a bunch, and I just need to bear down and focus on the chances I’m getting. It’s about just keep shooting pucks at the net.”
Head coach Claude Julien suspects that he’s going through an adjustment period to the smaller NHL ice surfaces after roaming free on international ice in the Swiss league.
“When you’ve got a wider ice surface you have more area to spread out and work with,” Julien said. “Not only that, but when you’ve got a bigger ice surface teams can get a little more passive. When you give Tyler that kind of time he’s going to make plays.
“So it’s a little bit tighter here and a little bit more aggressive, and he’s making the adjustment. We see that. It’s not from lack of will as much as it’s about him adjusting [back to North America].”
Of course, there’s also the point that Seguin and the Bruins have played just four games so far this season. Even in a 48-game campaign, it might be a little hasty to condemn his 2013 production outright.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:16 PM EST
It’s been a long journey for the former No. 6 overall pick.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:14 PM EST
Incident occurred on Sunday, against Boston’s Kevan Miller.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:11 PM EST
No goals in 18 games for the Sabres.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:47 AM EST
Facing a lengthy suspension.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:42 AM EST
Bad news, especially given his history.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:30 AM EST
He spent 16 years with and played over 600 games for the Flames.
Dec 10, 2013, 11:26 AM EST
That’s the stadium in the ‘Peg.
Dec 10, 2013, 9:58 AM EST
If he’s not available, the Bruins will need to call up a defenseman.
Dec 10, 2013, 9:16 AM EST
Playing at least one more season would likely make him Ottawa’s all-time games leader.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:47 AM EST
Both teams have struggled lately.
Dec 10, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:41 AM EST
Vancouver is getting in the thick of things.
Dec 10, 2013, 1:00 AM EST
The Ducks are 11-0-2 in Anaheim this season.
Dec 10, 2013, 12:25 AM EST
He could miss more time, too.
Dec 9, 2013, 11:22 PM EST
No timeline yet for his return from various ailments.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:51 PM EST
Ottawa wins shootout by slim margin.
Dec 9, 2013, 10:21 PM EST
They’ve won six straight games at home.
Dec 9, 2013, 9:56 PM EST
There’s a chance Zbynek Michalek could be back, though.
Dec 9, 2013, 9:27 PM EST
First bout for Couturier, fourth for Turris.
Dec 9, 2013, 8:55 PM EST
Quite a way to end Columbus’ 162-minute shutout streak.
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 0
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 2
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 6
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 101
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 128
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (128)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (104)