Jan 28, 2013, 7:03 PM EST
If you expected strong overseas play to translate into early-season results, then Tyler Seguin was likely one of the guys you’d expect to have a hot start.
Instead, he’s managed just an assist in four games for the Boston Bruins so far, so the 20-year-old told CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty that he’s trying to break out of that funk.
“I’m working on things,” Seguin said. “I’ve had pressure on myself since I didn’t have a goal after one period in the first game [of the year]. You’ve just got to not get frustrated. You know when you get one that you’ll get a bunch, and I just need to bear down and focus on the chances I’m getting. It’s about just keep shooting pucks at the net.”
Head coach Claude Julien suspects that he’s going through an adjustment period to the smaller NHL ice surfaces after roaming free on international ice in the Swiss league.
“When you’ve got a wider ice surface you have more area to spread out and work with,” Julien said. “Not only that, but when you’ve got a bigger ice surface teams can get a little more passive. When you give Tyler that kind of time he’s going to make plays.
“So it’s a little bit tighter here and a little bit more aggressive, and he’s making the adjustment. We see that. It’s not from lack of will as much as it’s about him adjusting [back to North America].”
Of course, there’s also the point that Seguin and the Bruins have played just four games so far this season. Even in a 48-game campaign, it might be a little hasty to condemn his 2013 production outright.
Jan 28, 2015, 3:02 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings are bad at the shootout, and the Buffalo Sabres are good at it.
Jan 28, 2015, 2:15 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Jan 28, 2015, 1:51 PM EST
An incident against Philly on Jan. 19 was the straw that broke the camel’s back.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:39 PM EST
Chris Stewart remains a member of the worst team in the NHL.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:39 PM EST
“We’re not giving up on him at all.”
Jan 28, 2015, 1:16 PM EST
Someone check the water in Columbus.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:11 PM EST
“That was a team with tremendous character, with great coaches, great players and quality individuals. “
Jan 28, 2015, 12:51 PM EST
Habs’ d-man was tossed from Tuesday night’s game.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:52 AM EST
“It shouldn’t be a part of hockey,” said Canucks captain Henrik Sedin.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:51 AM EST
Could be bad news. Could be good. All depends who you cheer for.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
Boston d-man has struggled this season, but could be on the move by Mar. 2.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:17 AM EST
Los Angeles is currently out of the West’s top eight.
Jan 28, 2015, 11:16 AM EST
“Show up to your job, and you’re off suspension.”
Jan 28, 2015, 11:08 AM EST
Jim Rutherford, really working the phones.
Jan 28, 2015, 10:36 AM EST
“I got nothing left here.”
Jan 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EST
Both teams played last night.
Jan 28, 2015, 8:46 AM EST
Wednesday’s links lean toward a legend.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:45 AM EST
Vancouver has now been shutout in back-to-back home games.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:00 AM EST
Pittsburgh was without Crosby and Malkin.
Jan 28, 2015, 12:15 AM EST
He’s going to need some dental work.
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 13
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 19
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 17
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 61
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 28
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (63)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)