Jan 28, 2013, 10:52 PM EST
At the moment, it seems like Michal Neuvirth is the Washington Capitals’ go-to guy in net.
Seeing the 24-year-old Czech steal the top job for the moment serves as a surprise for some, but it appears that Washington goalie coach Dave Prior hasn’t been caught off guard.
“I get a little defensive on his behalf when people are sort of surprised [by Neuvirth],” Prior said. “His success in the playoffs at the junior and minor league level [shows] he’s got a head on his shoulders that handles pressure well. I’m not surprised how he’s played here.”
The Times article describes Neuvirth’s “quiet confidence,” although he piped up about his competition in net during the off-season, indicating that Holtby isn’t at the same level of prior goalies such as Tomas Vokoun and Semyon Varlamov. He also stood alongside teammate Roman Hamrlik, who made some controversial comments during the lockout.
If there is any lingering bitterness from those comments, it’s not showing enough to pry Neuvirth out of Washington’s net. We’ll see if it stays that way, though.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 0
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 20
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)