Jan 28, 2013, 10:52 PM EDT
At the moment, it seems like Michal Neuvirth is the Washington Capitals’ go-to guy in net.
Seeing the 24-year-old Czech steal the top job for the moment serves as a surprise for some, but it appears that Washington goalie coach Dave Prior hasn’t been caught off guard.
“I get a little defensive on his behalf when people are sort of surprised [by Neuvirth],” Prior said. “His success in the playoffs at the junior and minor league level [shows] he’s got a head on his shoulders that handles pressure well. I’m not surprised how he’s played here.”
The Times article describes Neuvirth’s “quiet confidence,” although he piped up about his competition in net during the off-season, indicating that Holtby isn’t at the same level of prior goalies such as Tomas Vokoun and Semyon Varlamov. He also stood alongside teammate Roman Hamrlik, who made some controversial comments during the lockout.
If there is any lingering bitterness from those comments, it’s not showing enough to pry Neuvirth out of Washington’s net. We’ll see if it stays that way, though.
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 1
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 28
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)