Jan 28, 2013, 7:52 AM EST
While his teammates are in Phoenix for Monday’s game against the Coyotes, the 26-year-old returned to Nashville for further examination, according to the Tennessean.
“Obviously he’s out for the rest of this trip, and maybe longer,” Predators coach Barry Trotz said.
Nashville still has four games left on its current road trip and they won’t head home until after playing in St. Louis on Feb. 5.
Hornqvist is an offensive leader on a team that doesn’t have that many weapons to begin with. Replacing his presence around the net won’t be easy, but the Predators will likely turn to forward Brandon Yip, who used to serve in a similar role during his stint with the Colorado Avalanche.
“If I’m called upon to fulfill that role I’m going to try my best to get in there and muck it up the way (Hornqvist) does,” Yip said.
Nashville has a 1-1-3 record this season and is averaging just two goals a game.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 38
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 81
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)