Jan 28, 2013, 12:25 PM EST
Patrick Marleau‘s white-hot start to the season has netted him some accolades.
On Monday, the San Jose Sharks forward was named the NHL’s Player of the Week, on the strength of his nine-goal, 13-point performance.
Marleau scored twice in each of San Jose’s first four games — all wins — and added a solo marker in Sunday’s 4-1 victory over Vancouver.
In doing so, he matched Cy Denneny’s mark for starting the season with multi-goal games (ol’ Cy did it in 1917-18 with Ottawa.)
The 33-year-old is now tied for the NHL scoring lead with teammate Joe Thornton.
Second star went to Chicago goalie Corey Crawford, who has backstopped the ‘Hawks to their best start in franchise history.
Crawford posted five wins, a 1.78 goals-against average and a .933 save percentage to help the Blackhawks pick up six consecutive wins to begin the season.
Third star went to veteran Lightning forward Martin St. Louis, who racked up eight assists (second most in the league) and 11 points as Tampa took possession of first place in the Southeast Division.
St. Louis’ most prolific performance came during Sunday’s 5-1 win over the Flyers, when he assisted on all but one of Tampa’s goals and finished as the game’s third star.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
Won’t face Dallas on Saturday.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:45 AM EST
They blew away the Avs by six goals last night.
Dec 6, 2013, 11:26 AM EST
Tough times for the Swiss forward.
Dec 6, 2013, 10:49 AM EST
Could be the plan.
Dec 6, 2013, 9:57 AM EST
Captain John Tavares says they’re not earning wins, but the veteran goalie has a different theory.
Dec 6, 2013, 8:59 AM EST
He led New York to a 3-1 victory over Buffalo.
Dec 6, 2013, 8:00 AM EST
Friday’s collection of links.
Dec 6, 2013, 3:00 AM EST
No timetable for return.
Dec 6, 2013, 2:15 AM EST
Patrick Roy should know how this feels.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:35 AM EST
Bottom of the Metropolitan Division.
Dec 6, 2013, 1:02 AM EST
Triumph in the face of adversity.
Dec 6, 2013, 12:42 AM EST
Bad night for Colorado.
Dec 6, 2013, 12:14 AM EST
Still trying to find consistency.
Dec 5, 2013, 11:48 PM EST
Right to the point.
Dec 5, 2013, 11:25 PM EST
Pacioretty says he feels ‘awful’ for Boychuk incident.
Dec 5, 2013, 11:01 PM EST
Expectation is that he’ll be OK.
Dec 5, 2013, 10:35 PM EST
They can thank their goalie for two points.
Dec 5, 2013, 10:14 PM EST
Tough night for defensemen across NHL.
Dec 5, 2013, 9:50 PM EST
Pascal Dupuis had only two shifts in second period before leaving the game.
Dec 5, 2013, 9:25 PM EST
Tampa Bay already has a full sickbay.
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 52
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 42
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (52)