Jan 28, 2013, 2:18 PM EST
The back issue that’s plagued Darren Helm‘s start to the regular season might soon be a thing of the past.
Detroit GM Ken Holland reports an MRI done on Helm’s back revealed no structural damage, meaning the forward could return to action soon — possibly this weekend.
“There’s no structural damage,” Holland told the Detroit Free Press. “It’s just a re-aggravation of an old injury. There’s a little inflammation, so he’s going to get an anti-inflammatory and take a few days off.”
After missing the opening three games of the season, Helm made his season debut on Friday in a 5-3 win over Minnesota, playing 12:27.
But that game only seemed to re-aggravate the back injury, as Helm was then held out of the Wings’ overtime loss to Chicago on Sunday night.
With a light slate of games for the week — Detroit plays at home vs. Dallas on Tuesday, then host the Blues on Friday — it is possible that Helm could return to the lineup in time for Saturday’s road date in Columbus.
Of note, the statuses of fellow injured Red Wings — Forward Mikael Samuelsson (groin), defensemen Carlo Colaiacovo (separated shoulder) and Ian White (lacerated leg) and goalie Jonas Gustavsson (groin) — remain unchanged.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 6
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)