Jan 28, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
The back issue that’s plagued Darren Helm‘s start to the regular season might soon be a thing of the past.
Detroit GM Ken Holland reports an MRI done on Helm’s back revealed no structural damage, meaning the forward could return to action soon — possibly this weekend.
“There’s no structural damage,” Holland told the Detroit Free Press. “It’s just a re-aggravation of an old injury. There’s a little inflammation, so he’s going to get an anti-inflammatory and take a few days off.”
After missing the opening three games of the season, Helm made his season debut on Friday in a 5-3 win over Minnesota, playing 12:27.
But that game only seemed to re-aggravate the back injury, as Helm was then held out of the Wings’ overtime loss to Chicago on Sunday night.
With a light slate of games for the week — Detroit plays at home vs. Dallas on Tuesday, then host the Blues on Friday — it is possible that Helm could return to the lineup in time for Saturday’s road date in Columbus.
Of note, the statuses of fellow injured Red Wings — Forward Mikael Samuelsson (groin), defensemen Carlo Colaiacovo (separated shoulder) and Ian White (lacerated leg) and goalie Jonas Gustavsson (groin) — remain unchanged.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)