Jan 28, 2013, 2:18 PM EST
The back issue that’s plagued Darren Helm‘s start to the regular season might soon be a thing of the past.
Detroit GM Ken Holland reports an MRI done on Helm’s back revealed no structural damage, meaning the forward could return to action soon — possibly this weekend.
“There’s no structural damage,” Holland told the Detroit Free Press. “It’s just a re-aggravation of an old injury. There’s a little inflammation, so he’s going to get an anti-inflammatory and take a few days off.”
After missing the opening three games of the season, Helm made his season debut on Friday in a 5-3 win over Minnesota, playing 12:27.
But that game only seemed to re-aggravate the back injury, as Helm was then held out of the Wings’ overtime loss to Chicago on Sunday night.
With a light slate of games for the week — Detroit plays at home vs. Dallas on Tuesday, then host the Blues on Friday — it is possible that Helm could return to the lineup in time for Saturday’s road date in Columbus.
Of note, the statuses of fellow injured Red Wings — Forward Mikael Samuelsson (groin), defensemen Carlo Colaiacovo (separated shoulder) and Ian White (lacerated leg) and goalie Jonas Gustavsson (groin) — remain unchanged.
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 0
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 21
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 36
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 7
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)