Jan 28, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
The back issue that’s plagued Darren Helm‘s start to the regular season might soon be a thing of the past.
Detroit GM Ken Holland reports an MRI done on Helm’s back revealed no structural damage, meaning the forward could return to action soon — possibly this weekend.
“There’s no structural damage,” Holland told the Detroit Free Press. “It’s just a re-aggravation of an old injury. There’s a little inflammation, so he’s going to get an anti-inflammatory and take a few days off.”
After missing the opening three games of the season, Helm made his season debut on Friday in a 5-3 win over Minnesota, playing 12:27.
But that game only seemed to re-aggravate the back injury, as Helm was then held out of the Wings’ overtime loss to Chicago on Sunday night.
With a light slate of games for the week — Detroit plays at home vs. Dallas on Tuesday, then host the Blues on Friday — it is possible that Helm could return to the lineup in time for Saturday’s road date in Columbus.
Of note, the statuses of fellow injured Red Wings — Forward Mikael Samuelsson (groin), defensemen Carlo Colaiacovo (separated shoulder) and Ian White (lacerated leg) and goalie Jonas Gustavsson (groin) — remain unchanged.
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 9
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 8
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 3
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 25
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 45
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- HBT: Dodgers manager Mattingly could be on the hot seat
- OlyTalk: Pistorius rules out racing in 2013
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- Play Video: Finalists for Mark Messier Leadership Award
- Play Video: Bruins turn weakness into strength
- Play Video: Highlights: Senators win double overtime thriller
- Play Video: Craig Adams lays out Spezza in OT
- Play Video: Vokoun makes a big time save on Neil
- Play Video: Cooke catches Karlsson in face with stick