Jan 28, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
The back issue that’s plagued Darren Helm‘s start to the regular season might soon be a thing of the past.
Detroit GM Ken Holland reports an MRI done on Helm’s back revealed no structural damage, meaning the forward could return to action soon — possibly this weekend.
“There’s no structural damage,” Holland told the Detroit Free Press. “It’s just a re-aggravation of an old injury. There’s a little inflammation, so he’s going to get an anti-inflammatory and take a few days off.”
After missing the opening three games of the season, Helm made his season debut on Friday in a 5-3 win over Minnesota, playing 12:27.
But that game only seemed to re-aggravate the back injury, as Helm was then held out of the Wings’ overtime loss to Chicago on Sunday night.
With a light slate of games for the week — Detroit plays at home vs. Dallas on Tuesday, then host the Blues on Friday — it is possible that Helm could return to the lineup in time for Saturday’s road date in Columbus.
Of note, the statuses of fellow injured Red Wings — Forward Mikael Samuelsson (groin), defensemen Carlo Colaiacovo (separated shoulder) and Ian White (lacerated leg) and goalie Jonas Gustavsson (groin) — remain unchanged.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)