Jan 28, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
Last week, rumors flew that Wayne Gretzky was in discussions with Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment about becoming the new president of the Leafs.
Granted, almost as quickly as the rumors took flight, they were shot down. But the affair demonstrated the buzz the Great One can still create in the hockey world.
Short answer: he doesn’t really have any, at least so far as the NHL is concerned.
“I don’t know what I want to do,” Gretzky said. “I don’t really overly think about it. My life is pretty busy right now in the sense that I’m busy but I’m home a lot, which is sort of new.
“When you’re a professional hockey player, a professional athlete, your life is that. To explain that to people, it’s hard, because you almost have to be very selfish to be successful as a professional athlete. But with that selfishness you have to have the right core of people around you, whether it be your wife and kids, or if you’re single, your mom and dad. They have to understand that at that point in time that’s what your concentration is about, the sport itself. Now that I don’t have that, obviously more time is spent just being around my group, my family.”
Obviously, if Gretzky wanted a job in the NHL, he could get one. And while he admits he misses the “peaks and valleys” of pro sports, for now it appears he’s happy to sit on the sidelines and watch.
Gretzky is in Las Vegas to host his 11th annual fantasy camp.
Following is an interview he did with NHL Live in which he addresses the MLSE rumors and talks about enjoying the good life.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:53 PM EDT
“We are here to build a team that is capable of winning a Stanley Cup. There are no shortcuts to go around doing that.”
Jul 1, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT
23-year-old had 18 points in 29 games last year.
Jul 1, 2015, 4:05 PM EDT
Moves on from Washington, the team that drafted him in 2004.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT
Penguins GM considers his new winger in the same class as Alex Ovechkin and Steven Stamkos.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:28 PM EDT
So long, Boston University.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:19 PM EDT
29-year-old forward will look to get his career back on track.
Jul 1, 2015, 3:04 PM EDT
Some smaller signings to pass your way…
Jul 1, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Still needs to sign a new deal, but Columbus will match any offer sheet.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
All the signings from what promises to be a busy day.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:28 PM EDT
The torch has been passed.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Bit of an odd twist.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT
Both spent the last few seasons playing in Russia.
Jul 1, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
One of the Senators’ main penalty-killers last season.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
One year, $1.25 million.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Former Jets forward scores a big-money deal.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:29 PM EDT
27-year-old never really panned out in Boston.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:22 PM EDT
Having already signed former Canuck Brad Richardson.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:11 PM EDT
Nice raise after playing for $700,000 in Pittsburgh last season.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:08 PM EDT
End of an era in Toronto. A premier goal-scoring winger heads to Pittsburgh.
Jul 1, 2015, 1:07 PM EDT
Finnish forward coming off a strong first season in St. Louis.
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 2
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 15
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 27
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 13
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 124
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 32
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (124)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)