Jan 28, 2013, 4:07 PM EDT
Last week, rumors flew that Wayne Gretzky was in discussions with Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment about becoming the new president of the Leafs.
Granted, almost as quickly as the rumors took flight, they were shot down. But the affair demonstrated the buzz the Great One can still create in the hockey world.
Short answer: he doesn’t really have any, at least so far as the NHL is concerned.
“I don’t know what I want to do,” Gretzky said. “I don’t really overly think about it. My life is pretty busy right now in the sense that I’m busy but I’m home a lot, which is sort of new.
“When you’re a professional hockey player, a professional athlete, your life is that. To explain that to people, it’s hard, because you almost have to be very selfish to be successful as a professional athlete. But with that selfishness you have to have the right core of people around you, whether it be your wife and kids, or if you’re single, your mom and dad. They have to understand that at that point in time that’s what your concentration is about, the sport itself. Now that I don’t have that, obviously more time is spent just being around my group, my family.”
Obviously, if Gretzky wanted a job in the NHL, he could get one. And while he admits he misses the “peaks and valleys” of pro sports, for now it appears he’s happy to sit on the sidelines and watch.
Gretzky is in Las Vegas to host his 11th annual fantasy camp.
Following is an interview he did with NHL Live in which he addresses the MLSE rumors and talks about enjoying the good life.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:33 PM EDT
All the latest from the blue paint…
Mar 10, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
Dallas seems to be a good fit for the 22-year-old former Bruin.
Mar 10, 2014, 4:00 PM EDT
“We have to keep scoring goals. We have to keep playing this way,” said Adam Henrique.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:56 PM EDT
He meant he doesn’t want to be traded.
Mar 10, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
Fire up the comments section!
Mar 10, 2014, 2:26 PM EDT
But how does creating a long change in overtime sound?
Mar 10, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
Starting tonight in Anaheim.
Mar 10, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
A home game vs. Washington, which will also mark Dustin Penner’s return to Anaheim.
Mar 10, 2014, 1:11 PM EDT
“It’s a bad position, I guess.”
Mar 10, 2014, 12:56 PM EDT
Veteran winger won’t play tonight vs. Phoenix.
Mar 10, 2014, 12:44 PM EDT
The 13th overall pick in the 2010 draft.
Mar 10, 2014, 12:16 PM EDT
Tough blow for Montreal.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:56 AM EDT
With Jay Beagle and Tom Wilson.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Deadline deal could end up being a masterstroke.
Mar 10, 2014, 11:17 AM EDT
Columbus is fighting hard for a spot in the postseason.
Mar 10, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
No desire to go through a Dan Girardi/Ryan Callahan situation.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:58 AM EDT
Welcome to modern hockey philosophy.
Mar 10, 2014, 9:19 AM EDT
He was given a double-minor on the play.
Mar 10, 2014, 8:25 AM EDT
That and the rest of the links to start the day ahead.
Mar 9, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
St. Louis has had Minnesota’s (and the league’s) number lately.
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 25
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 53
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 41
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 11
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 11
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (68)