Jan 28, 2013, 10:47 AM EST
The Florida Panthers have just one win in five games and the NHL’s worst goal differential (minus-11), most of which can be chalked up to Saturday’s 7-1 drubbing — at home — to the Philadelphia Flyers.
It was the Flyers loss that sent coach Kevin Dineen over the edge.
Dineen promised a rough next couple of days for his charges in speaking with the Florida Sun-Sentinel, suggesting bag skates would be in their near futures.
“It’s going to be a miserable couple of days for us,” Dineen explained. “You come off an embarrassing game at home, you don’t like that in front of your fans, so there it is, it’s on our scorecard, so you got to deal with it.
“We didn’t push hard enough from the opening draw which we talked about. We’re not earning our goals. That’s not the success we’ve had and it’s not the way we’re going to play.”
But that’s hardly comforting — or an excuse — for Dineen.
“Injuries have absolutely nothing to do with what happened,” he said. “We got our tails handed to us in every way.
“Our defense was atrocious [vs. Philly.] We’re a bunch of individuals right now. We don’t have the chemistry to play as a team. I hate sitting in these things and beating up on your people, it’s just stupid.”
If there is good news for Florida, it’s that Versteeg (groin) appears primed to make his season debut on Tuesday when the Panthers play in Tampa Bay.
Versteeg finished third on the team in scoring last year, with 54 points, and finished second on the team in goals and PPG.
Mar 1, 2015, 11:33 AM EST
Anaheim readies for a road-heavy March.
Mar 1, 2015, 10:17 AM EST
Three of his season’s six goals came in the last three games.
Mar 1, 2015, 9:35 AM EST
The first-round pick was a little too rich, it seems.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:37 AM EST
They’ll play again on March 8.
Mar 1, 2015, 1:03 AM EST
San Jose completed its disastrous month with a loss to Ottawa.
Mar 1, 2015, 12:42 AM EST
In other words, he’s probably not going to be dealt before the trade deadline.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:52 PM EST
The Coyotes might not be done dealing yet.
Feb 28, 2015, 11:11 PM EST
Steve Mason was solid in his first start since undergoing knee surgery.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:41 PM EST
He’s continuing to make his case for the art Trophy.
Feb 28, 2015, 10:12 PM EST
Chicago also added Kimmo Timonen on Friday.
Feb 28, 2015, 9:24 PM EST
Stakes are high for Philadelphia after Boston and Florida won.
Feb 28, 2015, 8:50 PM EST
His leadership and the confidence that he brings might provide Florida with a big boost.
Feb 28, 2015, 8:24 PM EST
Arizona is threatening to drop to 29th in the NHL, which would be big as far as the draft lottery is concerned.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:51 PM EST
Philadelphia is trying to salvage its bid for a playoff spot.
Feb 28, 2015, 7:37 PM EST
A recent report suggests that Boston is interested.
Feb 28, 2015, 6:55 PM EST
He’s been released from the hospital.
Feb 28, 2015, 6:02 PM EST
Alexey Marchenko scored his first career goal.
Feb 28, 2015, 5:34 PM EST
That gives some teams extra roster flexibility.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:45 PM EST
Was injured on a hit from Seth Jones.
Feb 28, 2015, 4:15 PM EST
He’s been the subject of trade rumors lately.
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 24
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 55
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 40
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)
- The plummeting Coyotes are threatening to fall below the Oilers into 29th place (55)