Jan 28, 2013, 5:44 PM EDT
Drew Doughty remembers what happened in April, right? When the Kings beat the Canucks in five games? Ring a bell?
We only ask because this is what Doughty said today prior to tonight’s Vancouver-Los Angeles game at the Staples Center:
“There’s nothing more rewarding than beating a team that’s won the (Presidents’ Trophy) the last couple of years in a row. So we’re really looking forward to hopefully do that tonight. A big win tonight against a big team like them would definitely give us a confidence boost.”
To be fair, the Kings are off to a sluggish 1-2-1 start, so we can see where Doughty’s coming from. Plus, there’s no sense giving the Canucks any more motivation than they should already have against the team that bounced them so unceremoniously last spring.
Of note, Roberto Luongo is expected to get the assignment in Vancouver’s goal. The 33-year-old started the first two games of last year’s Kings series before being replaced by Cory Schneider for the final three games — a move that many thought would lead to Luongo playing elsewhere by now.
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 0
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 15
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 30
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 10
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 19
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)