Jan 28, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
Darryl Sutter can’t explain why Willie Mitchell didn’t skate for the second straight day, but the Kings’ head coach sure does sound frustrated with the time the veteran defenseman is taking to get back into action.
Per Helene Elliott of the Los Angeles Times, Sutter said he’s “not a doctor or a psychologist” and, therefore, can’t explain what’s going through the head of the 35-year-old blue-liner that’s been medically cleared to play after having knee surgery during the lockout.
Today wasn’t the first time Sutter’s expressed frustration with Mitchell’s slow return.
“You know what, he’s got doctor’s clearance,” Sutter said last week. “He’s got trainers’ clearance. Coaches want him to clear himself.
“So do it.”
The defending Stanley Cup champions host the Vancouver Canucks, the team they defeated in the first round of last year’s playoffs, tonight at the Staples Center.
In fact, no NHL defenseman has averaged more ice time per game than Doughty.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 3
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)