Jan 28, 2013, 2:32 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars have announced that Jamie Benn’s immigration paperwork has been approved, making him eligible to return to the lineup Monday to face the Blue Jackets in Columbus.
The 23-year-old forward missed the Stars’ opening five games before signing a five-year, $26.25 million contract on Thursday night.
Benn tried to get his paperwork filed prior to Saturday’s game against St. Louis (he’s a Canadian citizen and wasn’t able to get immigration work completed until he signed with Dallas), but was unable to get everything sorted in time.
The Stars went on to lose to the Blues, 4-3.
Benn, originally a fifth-round pick of the Stars in 2007, had a career high 26 goals and 63 points last season and was named to his first-ever All-Star Game.
He was also one of three RFAs currently holding out to begin the lockout-shortened regular season. The other two, P.K. Subban and Ryan O’Reilly, remain unsigned by Montreal and Colorado, respectively.
Update: In other Dallas lineup news, Jaromir Jagr will return after a one-game absence — he sat out Saturday’s loss to the Blues — and Derek Roy will miss his second straight game with a groin injury.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 1
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 14
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 6
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 54
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination