Jan 28, 2013, 2:32 PM EDT
The Dallas Stars have announced that Jamie Benn’s immigration paperwork has been approved, making him eligible to return to the lineup Monday to face the Blue Jackets in Columbus.
The 23-year-old forward missed the Stars’ opening five games before signing a five-year, $26.25 million contract on Thursday night.
Benn tried to get his paperwork filed prior to Saturday’s game against St. Louis (he’s a Canadian citizen and wasn’t able to get immigration work completed until he signed with Dallas), but was unable to get everything sorted in time.
The Stars went on to lose to the Blues, 4-3.
Benn, originally a fifth-round pick of the Stars in 2007, had a career high 26 goals and 63 points last season and was named to his first-ever All-Star Game.
He was also one of three RFAs currently holding out to begin the lockout-shortened regular season. The other two, P.K. Subban and Ryan O’Reilly, remain unsigned by Montreal and Colorado, respectively.
Update: In other Dallas lineup news, Jaromir Jagr will return after a one-game absence — he sat out Saturday’s loss to the Blues — and Derek Roy will miss his second straight game with a groin injury.
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 0
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 5
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 15
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 21
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 53
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)