Jan 28, 2013, 2:32 PM EST
The Dallas Stars have announced that Jamie Benn’s immigration paperwork has been approved, making him eligible to return to the lineup Monday to face the Blue Jackets in Columbus.
The 23-year-old forward missed the Stars’ opening five games before signing a five-year, $26.25 million contract on Thursday night.
Benn tried to get his paperwork filed prior to Saturday’s game against St. Louis (he’s a Canadian citizen and wasn’t able to get immigration work completed until he signed with Dallas), but was unable to get everything sorted in time.
The Stars went on to lose to the Blues, 4-3.
Benn, originally a fifth-round pick of the Stars in 2007, had a career high 26 goals and 63 points last season and was named to his first-ever All-Star Game.
He was also one of three RFAs currently holding out to begin the lockout-shortened regular season. The other two, P.K. Subban and Ryan O’Reilly, remain unsigned by Montreal and Colorado, respectively.
Update: In other Dallas lineup news, Jaromir Jagr will return after a one-game absence — he sat out Saturday’s loss to the Blues — and Derek Roy will miss his second straight game with a groin injury.
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 2
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 7
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 50
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 74
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)