Jan 28, 2013, 2:32 PM EST
The Dallas Stars have announced that Jamie Benn’s immigration paperwork has been approved, making him eligible to return to the lineup Monday to face the Blue Jackets in Columbus.
The 23-year-old forward missed the Stars’ opening five games before signing a five-year, $26.25 million contract on Thursday night.
Benn tried to get his paperwork filed prior to Saturday’s game against St. Louis (he’s a Canadian citizen and wasn’t able to get immigration work completed until he signed with Dallas), but was unable to get everything sorted in time.
The Stars went on to lose to the Blues, 4-3.
Benn, originally a fifth-round pick of the Stars in 2007, had a career high 26 goals and 63 points last season and was named to his first-ever All-Star Game.
He was also one of three RFAs currently holding out to begin the lockout-shortened regular season. The other two, P.K. Subban and Ryan O’Reilly, remain unsigned by Montreal and Colorado, respectively.
Update: In other Dallas lineup news, Jaromir Jagr will return after a one-game absence — he sat out Saturday’s loss to the Blues — and Derek Roy will miss his second straight game with a groin injury.
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 13
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 30
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 6
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)