Jan 28, 2013, 2:56 PM EDT
The eyebrow-raising part?
The injuries stem from a hit by Sharks defenseman Brad Stuart during Saturday’s loss in San Jose.
Landeskog left the ice immediately after the collision, but — in what will be scrutinized given today’s developments — returned to the game three minutes into the second period.
The 19-year-old ended up playing 16:23 all told.
Stuart wasn’t penalized for the hit and didn’t face any supplemental discipline from the NHL.
He defended his actions to CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz, saying “[if] you take those hits out of the game, you change the game.”
Landeskog also defended the hit.
“I haven’t seen [the replay] but I think it was a clean hit, or felt like a clean hit,” he said. “No elbow, but it was hard, I’ll tell you that much. I was kind of reaching for the puck and didn’t brace myself enough and he stepped up.
“That’s the way with hockey, you give some and you take some, and tonight I took a pretty big one.”
Conversely, Avs head coach Joe Sacco didn’t like the hit, telling Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston it was “a direct blow to the head.”
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)