Jan 27, 2013, 10:23 AM EDT
You could say the Los Angeles Kings have the Phoenix Coyotes number. They beat them in five games in the Western Conference finals last year and Kings captain Dustin Brown managed to drive Phoenix captain Shane Doan mad in the process. Don’t think he forgot about any of that when the two sides met for the first time this season last night.
In the midst of a 4-2 Kings victory, one that saw the Coyotes have two would-be goals disallowed, Doan decided to take some of his frustrations out on Mike Richards. You could chalk this one up as one of the most one-sided fights we’ve seen in a while. [YouTube]
What’s curious here was the possibility that Richards wasn’t Doan’s intended target.
There’s little doubt Doan has Brown filed away in his memory, especially after he scolded him during the handshake line last year. By the way, these two won’t meet again until March 12 in Glendale. You might want to go ahead and put a big ole circle around that date.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)