Jan 27, 2013, 2:06 PM EST
The Buffalo Sabres will look to get off the schneid this afternoon against the Capitals, but they’ll be doing it shorthanded.
“I anticipated really that Thomas was going to be able to play. I thought cases like this you can usually bounce back, but it’s a day-to-day type situation.”
How good has Vanek been so far? His nine points are more points than the Capitals have goals this season.
Meanwhile, 2012 first-round pick Mikhail Grigorenko will play today. It’ll mark his fifth game this season meaning it’s his last chance to prove he can stick in the NHL. Judging by the lines the team used in practice yesterday, he’ll get a strong opportunity to show what he’s got playing between Steve Ott and Drew Stafford.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 9
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 21
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 61
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)