Jan 27, 2013, 11:06 PM EDT
After becoming the first player in 95 years* to start a season with four consecutive multi-goal games, Patrick Marleau totally mailed it in on Sunday by scoring one measly goal.
The San Jose Sharks managed to survive Marleau’s sloth (he also had an assist, which is OK) and beat the Vancouver Canucks 4-1 today.
All requisite sarcasm aside, San Jose’s red-hot top line continued to dominate despite back-to-back games. Joe Thornton (one goal, one assist) and Joe Pavelski (two goals) rounded out that trio’s fantastic evening.
Here are the season totals for that line:
Marleau, 33: nine goals, for assists for 13 points
Thornton, 33: three goals, 10 assists for 13 points
Pavelski, 28: two goals, eight assists for 10 points
That’s all in five contests.
Now, this hot streak is certain to subside; Most obviously, Marleau’s shooting percentage (37.5) is sure to plummet.
Still, the Sharks are now 5-0-0, giving them a nice head start in the Pacific Division. Antti Niemi‘s also quietly off to a strong start, boasting a 4-0-0 record with a .933 save percentage and 2.01 GAA.
Keeping up this pace is unlikely, but where do you rank the Sharks after this scorching start?
* – And second ever. Oh, and if you want another eye-popping stat: Ryane Clowe piled up 35 penalty minutes on Sunday.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Can the STAR system help reduce concussions?
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
They’ll feature a “skating-only” ice crew next season.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:53 PM EDT
The crash happened on Monday, according to reports.
Jul 23, 2014, 7:20 PM EDT
Will their latest physics improvements make a big difference?
Jul 23, 2014, 5:50 PM EDT
Can they make a compromise by Friday?
Jul 23, 2014, 4:20 PM EDT
“We’ll see what happens. It’s a couple years away.”
Jul 23, 2014, 2:50 PM EDT
Jim Benning, making deals.
Jul 23, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT
“Any of the perceived animosity came from the outside.”
Jul 23, 2014, 12:57 PM EDT
His previously “yet-to-be-determined capacity” has been determined.
Jul 23, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
“My style and build might be better against the bigger guys.”
Jul 23, 2014, 11:34 AM EDT
Won a couple of Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:48 AM EDT
Had seven goals with 21 assists last year for the Avs.
Jul 23, 2014, 10:23 AM EDT
The 23-year-old can now become an unrestricted free agent in the summer of 2016.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:56 AM EDT
Derick Brassard and John Moore to go.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Barry Trotz continues Adam Oates’ alteration, at least for now.
Jul 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Wednesday’s delectable spread of links.
Jul 22, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
They locked him up to a four-year deal on Tuesday.
Jul 22, 2014, 10:15 PM EDT
He spent last season playing in Switzerland.
Jul 22, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
The Cuban-American could help market the sport.
Jul 22, 2014, 7:38 PM EDT
Turning over a new leaf?
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 2
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 21
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 33
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)