Jan 27, 2013, 11:06 PM EDT
After becoming the first player in 95 years* to start a season with four consecutive multi-goal games, Patrick Marleau totally mailed it in on Sunday by scoring one measly goal.
The San Jose Sharks managed to survive Marleau’s sloth (he also had an assist, which is OK) and beat the Vancouver Canucks 4-1 today.
All requisite sarcasm aside, San Jose’s red-hot top line continued to dominate despite back-to-back games. Joe Thornton (one goal, one assist) and Joe Pavelski (two goals) rounded out that trio’s fantastic evening.
Here are the season totals for that line:
Marleau, 33: nine goals, for assists for 13 points
Thornton, 33: three goals, 10 assists for 13 points
Pavelski, 28: two goals, eight assists for 10 points
That’s all in five contests.
Now, this hot streak is certain to subside; Most obviously, Marleau’s shooting percentage (37.5) is sure to plummet.
Still, the Sharks are now 5-0-0, giving them a nice head start in the Pacific Division. Antti Niemi‘s also quietly off to a strong start, boasting a 4-0-0 record with a .933 save percentage and 2.01 GAA.
Keeping up this pace is unlikely, but where do you rank the Sharks after this scorching start?
* – And second ever. Oh, and if you want another eye-popping stat: Ryane Clowe piled up 35 penalty minutes on Sunday.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:50 PM EDT
Started off well for Pittsburgh, but got worse from there.
Apr 1, 2015, 10:12 PM EDT
Both desperately need wins to stay alive in playoff race.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:54 PM EDT
Apr 1, 2015, 9:23 PM EDT
It’s been a while.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He’s having a “down year,” apparently.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT
Red Wings forward reflects on Tuesday’s scary skate cut incident.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
Just 12 forwards, and five defensemen.
Apr 1, 2015, 7:39 PM EDT
“It was vicious, and it deserves to be penalized.”
Apr 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT
Kings defenseman also suffered a ruptured Achilles.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT
Catch the game on NBCSN, or with NBCSports.com’s Live Extra.
Apr 1, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT
He’ll play on a line with Carl Hagelin and Kevin Hayes.
Apr 1, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT
Has been playing in Finland this season.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:48 PM EDT
Click for all the odds.
Apr 1, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT
Certainly better than they were in February.
Apr 1, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT
Did you know only six players in the entire NHL have more points than Hudler?
Apr 1, 2015, 3:00 PM EDT
Wouldn’t be great news for the Kings.
Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT
“I think the timetable’s still at the 12-week mark.”
Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT
News and notes from around the crease…
Apr 1, 2015, 2:13 PM EDT
After scoring 16 points in 15 games.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:59 PM EDT
But that’s no longer the case.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 8
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 13
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)