Jan 27, 2013, 11:06 PM EDT
After becoming the first player in 95 years* to start a season with four consecutive multi-goal games, Patrick Marleau totally mailed it in on Sunday by scoring one measly goal.
The San Jose Sharks managed to survive Marleau’s sloth (he also had an assist, which is OK) and beat the Vancouver Canucks 4-1 today.
All requisite sarcasm aside, San Jose’s red-hot top line continued to dominate despite back-to-back games. Joe Thornton (one goal, one assist) and Joe Pavelski (two goals) rounded out that trio’s fantastic evening.
Here are the season totals for that line:
Marleau, 33: nine goals, for assists for 13 points
Thornton, 33: three goals, 10 assists for 13 points
Pavelski, 28: two goals, eight assists for 10 points
That’s all in five contests.
Now, this hot streak is certain to subside; Most obviously, Marleau’s shooting percentage (37.5) is sure to plummet.
Still, the Sharks are now 5-0-0, giving them a nice head start in the Pacific Division. Antti Niemi‘s also quietly off to a strong start, boasting a 4-0-0 record with a .933 save percentage and 2.01 GAA.
Keeping up this pace is unlikely, but where do you rank the Sharks after this scorching start?
* – And second ever. Oh, and if you want another eye-popping stat: Ryane Clowe piled up 35 penalty minutes on Sunday.
Jul 27, 2015, 6:21 PM EDT(Edit)
24-year-old forward would require waivers to be sent down…
Jul 27, 2015, 4:28 PM EDT(Edit)
Hence the six-year, $39 million contract.
Jul 27, 2015, 3:26 PM EDT(Edit)
Looking to become a full-time NHLer after suffering a series of injuries at the start his pro career.
Jul 27, 2015, 2:22 PM EDT(Edit)
The alignment debate rages on.
Jul 27, 2015, 12:17 PM EDT(Edit)
Click to see who’s still left.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT(Edit)
Hearing scheduled for Wednesday.
Jul 27, 2015, 10:00 AM EDT(Edit)
He calls it the six-year, $25 million contract “good for both sides.”
Jul 27, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT(Edit)
Monday’s collection of links.
Jul 26, 2015, 11:02 PM EDT(Edit)
The only certainty is short-term.
Jul 26, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT(Edit)
Holdovers are noticing a summer of improvements for Buffalo.
Jul 26, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT(Edit)
The two sides avoided arbitration on Sunday.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)