Jan 27, 2013, 9:50 AM EDT
The Nashville Predators aren’t known as being a big scoring team and those matters may only get worse.
During last night’s shootout loss to Anaheim, the Preds lost big scoring winger Patric Hornqvist to injury. Following the game, coach Barry Trotz said he would be “out indefinitely” with a lower body injury. Joshua Cooper of The Tennessean has the story.
“He’s a big part of what we do,” Trotz said. “He’s a great guy who brings a lot of energy. He’s as hard as they come. He’s one of the best net-front guys here in the league, if not the best.”
With Tomas Holmstrom retired, Hornqvist is most likely the best guy in and around the net. He’s led the Predators in goals two of the last three seasons and is a regular threat for 30 goals in a normal season.
Through five games this season, the Predators have just 10 goals and if they’re to be without Hornqvist for an extended period that hurts. Guys like Martin Erat, Mike Fisher, and Sergei Kostitsyn will need to pick up their games to make up for it.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 10
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 21
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 23
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)