Jan 27, 2013, 8:37 PM EDT
The Phoenix Coyotes’ ownership/arena lease situation seems like it’s had an endless series of deadlines in the past few years, but Thursday looks like a crucial one. That’s when potential new owner Greg Jamison needs to complete the purchase of the team to maintain the latest deal, but a report in the Arizona Republic indicates that it’s far from a sure thing.
Glendale’s new Mayor Jerry Weiers ranks among those who doubt it can get done on time.
“For the life of me, I can’t figure why, if everything is lined up, if he’s got the money in hand, why would he postpone this? That’s the only thing I haven’t been able to figure out,” Weiers said. “What would be the purpose of delaying it?”
Jamison expressed vague optimism to the Arizona Republic about everything working out when asked last week. Still, this report lays out why missing Thursday’s deadline could be perilous:
If he misses the deadline, the agreement will expire, and with it the goodwill of a previous City Council that offered Jamison lucrative terms that would pay him to manage the 17,125-seat arena.
Glendale voters replaced four of the seven members of the City Council in November, and the new contingent seems unlikely to extend Jamison, or any other potential hockey-team owner, another contract as sweet as the one awaiting Jamison’s signature.
Weiers is one of those newcomers and he reinforced that notion.
“I told Jamison that as opposed as I was to the deal — I thought that the city didn’t get a very good deal out of it — the fact is that the council made that decision,” Weiers said. “The deal that was made said that he has until the 31st to put it together. I’ll honor that, but I also told him that I wouldn’t honor it one second past that.”
This saga has seen countless twists and turns, yet it sounds like the headaches could get larger if Jamison cannot find answers next week.
Mar 9, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Brian Elliott gets a rare start for St. Louis.
Mar 9, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
It might be due to an Ed Jovanovski hit.
Mar 9, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT
It doesn’t sound great for their would-be starter.
Mar 9, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT
Calgary releases a statement on the matter.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Mar 9, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
The appetite to make a change seems to be growing.
Mar 9, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
Detroit has lost its Wild Card spot.
Mar 9, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
The once promising rookie was put on waivers by Ottawa.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
He’s scored in every New Jersey game since the Olympics.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
That’s on top of all the talent they traded away.
Mar 9, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Can Johan Franzen maintain his incredible post-Olympics pace?
Mar 9, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
The 21-year-old is making the transition from the KHL.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
It helped lead St. Louis to its fourth straight win.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
Buffalo hasn’t been so bad lately, despite what the team looks like on paper.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They both desperately need every point they can get.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT
A much-needed victory for Vancouver.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT
Short ones on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
Roberto Luongo: quiet, so far.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:27 PM EDT
Tyler Seguin is just on fire right now.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:09 PM EDT
Dallas scored once on the resulting five-minute major penalty.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 21
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)