Jan 27, 2013, 5:43 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals – and especially captain Alex Ovechkin – have been taking an early beating this season, but they got a few annoying streaks out of the way in a 3-2 win against the Buffalo Sabres on Sunday.
The Caps shed the label of the NHL’s final remaining win-less team today, improving their record to 1-3-1. Even better: Ovechkin fired home what ended up being the game-winning goal, his first tally of 2013:
Sure, it wasn’t always pretty for the 27-year-old star and his team. One might see some symbolism in Ovi failing to pot a second goal by narrowly missing an empty net, while the Caps beat a struggling Buffalo team that lacked top scorer Thomas Vanek.
Still, the Russian winger looked more like his old self as he fired five shots on goal overall and skated alongside running mate Nicklas Backstrom for much of the game.
This victory also represents a relief for Adam Oates, who gained his first win as an NHL head coach.
Do you think Washington can build on this momentum and eventually eke out a playoff spot?
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 21
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)