Jan 27, 2013, 12:15 AM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets find themselves in a familiar place – the Central Division’s cellar – and they won’t have one of their bright young prospects around to help them dig out of it for a week or two.
The team placed Cam Atkinson on the injured reserve because of a groin injury, according to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline.
Portzline reports that Atkinson can be reactivated as early as Jan. 30.
The 23-year-old forward scored one goal in the three contests he played for Columbus in 2013. He really turned heads at the end of 2011-12, however, as he scored six points (including five goals) in Columbus’ two final games and 10 in his last six.
That output and some rave reviews prompted many to expect big things – even some dark horse Calder Trophy talk – but his bid for an early breakout has been placed on hold for now.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)