Jan 27, 2013, 12:15 AM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets find themselves in a familiar place – the Central Division’s cellar – and they won’t have one of their bright young prospects around to help them dig out of it for a week or two.
The team placed Cam Atkinson on the injured reserve because of a groin injury, according to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline.
Portzline reports that Atkinson can be reactivated as early as Jan. 30.
The 23-year-old forward scored one goal in the three contests he played for Columbus in 2013. He really turned heads at the end of 2011-12, however, as he scored six points (including five goals) in Columbus’ two final games and 10 in his last six.
That output and some rave reviews prompted many to expect big things – even some dark horse Calder Trophy talk – but his bid for an early breakout has been placed on hold for now.
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 6
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 12
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 38
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 53
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30