Jan 27, 2013, 12:15 AM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets find themselves in a familiar place – the Central Division’s cellar – and they won’t have one of their bright young prospects around to help them dig out of it for a week or two.
The team placed Cam Atkinson on the injured reserve because of a groin injury, according to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline.
Portzline reports that Atkinson can be reactivated as early as Jan. 30.
The 23-year-old forward scored one goal in the three contests he played for Columbus in 2013. He really turned heads at the end of 2011-12, however, as he scored six points (including five goals) in Columbus’ two final games and 10 in his last six.
That output and some rave reviews prompted many to expect big things – even some dark horse Calder Trophy talk – but his bid for an early breakout has been placed on hold for now.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 13
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 11
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 33
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 110
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7