Jan 27, 2013, 12:15 AM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets find themselves in a familiar place – the Central Division’s cellar – and they won’t have one of their bright young prospects around to help them dig out of it for a week or two.
The team placed Cam Atkinson on the injured reserve because of a groin injury, according to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline.
Portzline reports that Atkinson can be reactivated as early as Jan. 30.
The 23-year-old forward scored one goal in the three contests he played for Columbus in 2013. He really turned heads at the end of 2011-12, however, as he scored six points (including five goals) in Columbus’ two final games and 10 in his last six.
That output and some rave reviews prompted many to expect big things – even some dark horse Calder Trophy talk – but his bid for an early breakout has been placed on hold for now.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 11
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)