Jan 27, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
When you think of prolific goal scorers, Alex Ovechkin usually jumps to mind right away. This season, that hasn’t been the case. Seeing Patrick Marleau start off the season on fire (multiple goals in four straight games) and the Capitals being winless to start the year have only helped highlight Ovechkin’s slow start.
As Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times shares, Ovechkin knows he’s got to do better for the team and himself.
“Of course I wanna see my name on the score list,” the captain said. “We’re gonna try. It’s not frustrating. Right now most important thing it’s not about make a points or make goals. We have to take a win. One win and then I think it’s gonna be a very relief for us.”
This season, Ovechkin has no goals and just one assist. Calling that a slow start is being polite.
In Washington’s last game against New Jersey, Ovechkin played on a line with Jay Beagle and Joey Crabb. If those don’t sound like the sorts of players you’d expect him to be with normally, you’re right. Coach Adam Oates is trying to get things figured out on the fly as the team struggles, but Ovechkin finding his stride would go a long way towards solving the team’s problems.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)