Jan 27, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
When you think of prolific goal scorers, Alex Ovechkin usually jumps to mind right away. This season, that hasn’t been the case. Seeing Patrick Marleau start off the season on fire (multiple goals in four straight games) and the Capitals being winless to start the year have only helped highlight Ovechkin’s slow start.
As Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times shares, Ovechkin knows he’s got to do better for the team and himself.
“Of course I wanna see my name on the score list,” the captain said. “We’re gonna try. It’s not frustrating. Right now most important thing it’s not about make a points or make goals. We have to take a win. One win and then I think it’s gonna be a very relief for us.”
This season, Ovechkin has no goals and just one assist. Calling that a slow start is being polite.
In Washington’s last game against New Jersey, Ovechkin played on a line with Jay Beagle and Joey Crabb. If those don’t sound like the sorts of players you’d expect him to be with normally, you’re right. Coach Adam Oates is trying to get things figured out on the fly as the team struggles, but Ovechkin finding his stride would go a long way towards solving the team’s problems.
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 0
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 3
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 7
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)