Jan 27, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
When you think of prolific goal scorers, Alex Ovechkin usually jumps to mind right away. This season, that hasn’t been the case. Seeing Patrick Marleau start off the season on fire (multiple goals in four straight games) and the Capitals being winless to start the year have only helped highlight Ovechkin’s slow start.
As Stephen Whyno of The Washington Times shares, Ovechkin knows he’s got to do better for the team and himself.
“Of course I wanna see my name on the score list,” the captain said. “We’re gonna try. It’s not frustrating. Right now most important thing it’s not about make a points or make goals. We have to take a win. One win and then I think it’s gonna be a very relief for us.”
This season, Ovechkin has no goals and just one assist. Calling that a slow start is being polite.
In Washington’s last game against New Jersey, Ovechkin played on a line with Jay Beagle and Joey Crabb. If those don’t sound like the sorts of players you’d expect him to be with normally, you’re right. Coach Adam Oates is trying to get things figured out on the fly as the team struggles, but Ovechkin finding his stride would go a long way towards solving the team’s problems.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)