Jan 26, 2013, 4:08 PM EST
Chicago’s Viktor Stalberg hasn’t had a prolific scoring career so far in the NHL, but if you asked fans in Columbus about him they’d tell you he might as well be Wayne Gretzky.
Now in his fourth NHL season, Stalberg has 45 career goals and 10 of them have come against the Blue Jackets. Last season alone he scored eight times and earned 10 points against the Jackets. As he told reporters today in Ohio, as Tracey Myers of CSNChicago.com shares, he can’t explain why he’s dominated them.
“It’ more of a fluke than anything. You just get a little more confidence against certain teams and certain goalies,” Stalberg said Saturday morning. “But they have a lot of new players this year so I’m sure it won’t be the same. But I’ll look to continue scoring and stay on this good start.”
Being able to light up the likes of Steve Mason, Curtis Sanford, and Allen York last year certainly gave him plenty of confidence. Judging by their combined numbers in goal, Stalberg wasn’t the only one building themselves up against Columbus.
Now that he’ll be facing either Mason or Sergei Bobrovsky as well as a host of new players, maybe now the Jackets can silence the big Swede.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)