Jan 26, 2013, 4:08 PM EDT
Chicago’s Viktor Stalberg hasn’t had a prolific scoring career so far in the NHL, but if you asked fans in Columbus about him they’d tell you he might as well be Wayne Gretzky.
Now in his fourth NHL season, Stalberg has 45 career goals and 10 of them have come against the Blue Jackets. Last season alone he scored eight times and earned 10 points against the Jackets. As he told reporters today in Ohio, as Tracey Myers of CSNChicago.com shares, he can’t explain why he’s dominated them.
“It’ more of a fluke than anything. You just get a little more confidence against certain teams and certain goalies,” Stalberg said Saturday morning. “But they have a lot of new players this year so I’m sure it won’t be the same. But I’ll look to continue scoring and stay on this good start.”
Being able to light up the likes of Steve Mason, Curtis Sanford, and Allen York last year certainly gave him plenty of confidence. Judging by their combined numbers in goal, Stalberg wasn’t the only one building themselves up against Columbus.
Now that he’ll be facing either Mason or Sergei Bobrovsky as well as a host of new players, maybe now the Jackets can silence the big Swede.
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 0
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)