Jan 26, 2013, 4:08 PM EDT
Chicago’s Viktor Stalberg hasn’t had a prolific scoring career so far in the NHL, but if you asked fans in Columbus about him they’d tell you he might as well be Wayne Gretzky.
Now in his fourth NHL season, Stalberg has 45 career goals and 10 of them have come against the Blue Jackets. Last season alone he scored eight times and earned 10 points against the Jackets. As he told reporters today in Ohio, as Tracey Myers of CSNChicago.com shares, he can’t explain why he’s dominated them.
“It’ more of a fluke than anything. You just get a little more confidence against certain teams and certain goalies,” Stalberg said Saturday morning. “But they have a lot of new players this year so I’m sure it won’t be the same. But I’ll look to continue scoring and stay on this good start.”
Being able to light up the likes of Steve Mason, Curtis Sanford, and Allen York last year certainly gave him plenty of confidence. Judging by their combined numbers in goal, Stalberg wasn’t the only one building themselves up against Columbus.
Now that he’ll be facing either Mason or Sergei Bobrovsky as well as a host of new players, maybe now the Jackets can silence the big Swede.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 15
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 57
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 25
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)