Jan 26, 2013, 7:12 PM EDT
In just the fourth game of his second stint with the San Jose Sharks, Brad Stuart made a big impact – literally and figuratively – with this huge check on 20-year-old Colorado Avalanche captain Gabriel Landeskog:
As you can see, the 33-year-old defenseman was forced to drop the gloves immediately after that hit. Avs blueliner Ryan O’Byrne was charged with an instigator penalty, which opened to door for Patrick Marleau‘s first power-play goal. O’Byrne, 28, was also tossed from the game.
It’s not all bad news for the Avalanche, though. Landeskog returned to action during the second period of a game that’s still in progress.
Of course, plenty of players have come back from memorable collisions only to miss future games after further assessment, so PHT will keep an eye on the status of the 2012 Calder Trophy winner.
In the mean time, the question is: should Stuart be fined or suspended for that check?
From the “no” category, there’s this video on legal hits to the head:
That being said, the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater believes a suspension should be in order. Dater argues that Stuart “left his feet some,” making it suspension material. He also points to this screen cap to argue it’s a hit to the head:
Update: Stuart defended his hit, via CSNBayArea.com’s Kevin Kurz:
“You take those hits out of the game, you change the game,” Stuart said.
Meanwhile, Avalanche coach Joe Sacco described the hit to Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston as “a direct blow to the head.”
Where do you stand?
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 23
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)