Jan 26, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
The tough start to Chris Kreider‘s season in New York got a little rougher.
The Rangers’ rookie playoff star is dealing with a bone chip in his ankle as Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants reports. Taking his place in the lineup tonight against Toronto will be newly acquired former Sharks forward Benn Ferriero. The Rangers got him from the Penguins two days ago in a deal for Chad Kolarik.
Kreider’s been under the gun early on this year from coach John Tortorella as he was a healthy scratch on Thursday night and the coach thinks he might need more time in the AHL on top of that. Having an injury doesn’t help matters, but Kreider might have to worry about his spot in New York if Ferriero plays well tonight against the Leafs.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)