Jan 26, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
The tough start to Chris Kreider‘s season in New York got a little rougher.
The Rangers’ rookie playoff star is dealing with a bone chip in his ankle as Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants reports. Taking his place in the lineup tonight against Toronto will be newly acquired former Sharks forward Benn Ferriero. The Rangers got him from the Penguins two days ago in a deal for Chad Kolarik.
Kreider’s been under the gun early on this year from coach John Tortorella as he was a healthy scratch on Thursday night and the coach thinks he might need more time in the AHL on top of that. Having an injury doesn’t help matters, but Kreider might have to worry about his spot in New York if Ferriero plays well tonight against the Leafs.
- Risk Factors: St. Louis Blues edition 0
- Ryan agrees to seven-year, $50.75 million extension 11
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 37
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 10
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (37)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)