Jan 26, 2013, 12:41 PM EST
The tough start to Chris Kreider‘s season in New York got a little rougher.
The Rangers’ rookie playoff star is dealing with a bone chip in his ankle as Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants reports. Taking his place in the lineup tonight against Toronto will be newly acquired former Sharks forward Benn Ferriero. The Rangers got him from the Penguins two days ago in a deal for Chad Kolarik.
Kreider’s been under the gun early on this year from coach John Tortorella as he was a healthy scratch on Thursday night and the coach thinks he might need more time in the AHL on top of that. Having an injury doesn’t help matters, but Kreider might have to worry about his spot in New York if Ferriero plays well tonight against the Leafs.
- Report: Connolly suffers broken finger in Bruins practice 1
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 9
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 36
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)