Jan 26, 2013, 12:41 PM EDT
The tough start to Chris Kreider‘s season in New York got a little rougher.
The Rangers’ rookie playoff star is dealing with a bone chip in his ankle as Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants reports. Taking his place in the lineup tonight against Toronto will be newly acquired former Sharks forward Benn Ferriero. The Rangers got him from the Penguins two days ago in a deal for Chad Kolarik.
Kreider’s been under the gun early on this year from coach John Tortorella as he was a healthy scratch on Thursday night and the coach thinks he might need more time in the AHL on top of that. Having an injury doesn’t help matters, but Kreider might have to worry about his spot in New York if Ferriero plays well tonight against the Leafs.
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 0
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)