Jan 26, 2013, 12:41 PM EST
The tough start to Chris Kreider‘s season in New York got a little rougher.
The Rangers’ rookie playoff star is dealing with a bone chip in his ankle as Andrew Gross of Ranger Rants reports. Taking his place in the lineup tonight against Toronto will be newly acquired former Sharks forward Benn Ferriero. The Rangers got him from the Penguins two days ago in a deal for Chad Kolarik.
Kreider’s been under the gun early on this year from coach John Tortorella as he was a healthy scratch on Thursday night and the coach thinks he might need more time in the AHL on top of that. Having an injury doesn’t help matters, but Kreider might have to worry about his spot in New York if Ferriero plays well tonight against the Leafs.
- Cardiac Cats: Panthers win as Reimer, Leafs fade in third 8
- Report: Canes’ Jordan Staal to make season debut Monday 1
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 7
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 8
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 7
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 75
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 4
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2