Jan 26, 2013, 9:42 AM EDT
P.K. Subban is still unsigned in Montreal and it sounds like Habs GM Marc Bergevin has made a stand.
Renaud Lavoie from RDS reports the team is sticking to the same two-year offer they made to the restricted free agent back in May worth a total of $5.1 million. Montreal has held firm in wanting a short-term deal while Subban wants the exact opposite.
What seems clear here is that Montreal is comparing Subban to fellow RFA defensemen, Michael Del Zotto and Dmitry Kulikov. Del Zotto signed a two-year, $5.2 million deal with the Rangers right before training camp while Kulikov re-upped with the Panthers for two years at $5 million.
When you look at the raw numbers, the comparison to Del Zotto isn’t so far-fetched. That said, Subban’s importance to the Habs and their future on the blue line as well as their salary cap health next season ($53 million committed to just 16 players according to CapGeek) helps give you the stalemate we’re in now.
Perhaps this situation might wind up seeing Subban traded after all.
Jul 6, 2015, 4:29 PM EDT
That’s him in the blue shirt, standing next to ex-NHL goalie Dan Cloutier… who is 6’1.
Jul 6, 2015, 3:13 PM EDT
Spent last year with Colorado’s AHL affiliate.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
Click for all the cap hits.
Jul 6, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
His Kelowna Rockets went to the 2015 Memorial Cup.
Jul 6, 2015, 12:55 PM EDT
“You basically say, ‘I have no idea what’s going on, but it’s a great place to play and we have great fans and a great stadium.'”
Jul 6, 2015, 12:02 PM EDT
Played 59 games for the Sabres last season.
Jul 6, 2015, 11:23 AM EDT
“He gets to come in and have a heck of a year and put the screws to us.”
Jul 6, 2015, 10:52 AM EDT
They have the arena, but not the potential owner.
Jul 6, 2015, 10:12 AM EDT
Finished with a career-high 18 goals last season in Vancouver.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:58 AM EDT
Can become an unrestricted free agent next summer.
Jul 6, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The 23-year-old could be in line for a significant raise.
Jul 6, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Monday’s collection of links.
Jul 5, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
He struggled in his first year pro split between the AHL and ECHL.
Jul 5, 2015, 8:06 PM EDT
He was bought out by Carolina last week.
Jul 5, 2015, 7:00 PM EDT
He’ll make $650,000 at the NHL level and $250,000 in the AHL.
Jul 5, 2015, 6:00 PM EDT
Hearings will take place in Toronto from July 20 to August 4
Jul 5, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
It’s reportedly a two-way contract worth $600,000.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
The deal will reportedly pay him $4.1 million next season.
Jul 5, 2015, 3:08 PM EDT
His peak came in 2013-14: 19 goals, 51 points.
Jul 5, 2015, 2:20 PM EDT
Perhaps Blue Jackets prospects can learn from his scrappy ways.
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 7
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 13
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 27
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 16
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 8
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 14
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 12
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)