Jan 26, 2013, 9:42 AM EDT
P.K. Subban is still unsigned in Montreal and it sounds like Habs GM Marc Bergevin has made a stand.
Renaud Lavoie from RDS reports the team is sticking to the same two-year offer they made to the restricted free agent back in May worth a total of $5.1 million. Montreal has held firm in wanting a short-term deal while Subban wants the exact opposite.
What seems clear here is that Montreal is comparing Subban to fellow RFA defensemen, Michael Del Zotto and Dmitry Kulikov. Del Zotto signed a two-year, $5.2 million deal with the Rangers right before training camp while Kulikov re-upped with the Panthers for two years at $5 million.
When you look at the raw numbers, the comparison to Del Zotto isn’t so far-fetched. That said, Subban’s importance to the Habs and their future on the blue line as well as their salary cap health next season ($53 million committed to just 16 players according to CapGeek) helps give you the stalemate we’re in now.
Perhaps this situation might wind up seeing Subban traded after all.
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (94)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)