Jan 26, 2013, 12:12 AM EST
Sidney Crosby didn’t get a chance to play in Winnipeg last season because of his concussion problems, but he’s healthy now and was in the MTS Centre for Pittsburgh’s game against the Jets on Friday.
Winnipeg fans decided to greet the Penguins star forward by chanting “Mario pool boy” when he touched the puck, in reference to Penguins legend and team co-owner Mario Lemieux.
“I didn’t hear it. I figured they’d come up with something pretty original,” Crosby said, according to the Sun Media’s Paul Friesen.
Crosby might not have heard them, but he made sure that the reserve wasn’t true.
The 25-year-old netted back-to-back goals in the first period to give the Pittsburgh Penguins an early 2-0 lead. You can check out his second goal below:
Crosby had previously suggested that while Jets fans are “awesome,” they might not get the effects they desire when they taunt star players.
Either way, Jets fans had every reason to go home happy Friday night. While Crosby helped his team to a 2-0 lead, Winnipeg came back in a big way in the second period and earned a 4-2 victory over the Penguins.
Winnipeg now has a 2-1-1 record this season while Pittsburgh is 2-2-0. The Penguins will return to Winnipeg on Feb. 15.
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 0
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 23
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)