Jan 26, 2013, 12:12 AM EDT
Sidney Crosby didn’t get a chance to play in Winnipeg last season because of his concussion problems, but he’s healthy now and was in the MTS Centre for Pittsburgh’s game against the Jets on Friday.
Winnipeg fans decided to greet the Penguins star forward by chanting “Mario pool boy” when he touched the puck, in reference to Penguins legend and team co-owner Mario Lemieux.
“I didn’t hear it. I figured they’d come up with something pretty original,” Crosby said, according to the Sun Media’s Paul Friesen.
Crosby might not have heard them, but he made sure that the reserve wasn’t true.
The 25-year-old netted back-to-back goals in the first period to give the Pittsburgh Penguins an early 2-0 lead. You can check out his second goal below:
Crosby had previously suggested that while Jets fans are “awesome,” they might not get the effects they desire when they taunt star players.
Either way, Jets fans had every reason to go home happy Friday night. While Crosby helped his team to a 2-0 lead, Winnipeg came back in a big way in the second period and earned a 4-2 victory over the Penguins.
Winnipeg now has a 2-1-1 record this season while Pittsburgh is 2-2-0. The Penguins will return to Winnipeg on Feb. 15.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)