Jets fans call Crosby “Mario pool boy,” scores twice in loss

Jan 26, 2013, 12:12 AM EST

Sidney Crosby Getty Images

Sidney Crosby didn’t get a chance to play in Winnipeg last season because of his concussion problems, but he’s healthy now and was in the MTS Centre for Pittsburgh’s game against the Jets on Friday.

Winnipeg fans decided to greet the Penguins star forward by chanting “Mario pool boy” when he touched the puck, in reference to Penguins legend and team co-owner Mario Lemieux.

“I didn’t hear it. I figured they’d come up with something pretty original,” Crosby said, according to the Sun Media’s Paul Friesen.

Crosby might not have heard them, but he made sure that the reserve wasn’t true.

The 25-year-old netted back-to-back goals in the first period to give the Pittsburgh Penguins an early 2-0 lead. You can check out his second goal below:

Crosby had previously suggested that while Jets fans are “awesome,” they might not get the effects they desire when they taunt star players.

Either way, Jets fans had every reason to go home happy Friday night. While Crosby helped his team to a 2-0 lead, Winnipeg came back in a big way in the second period and earned a 4-2 victory over the Penguins.

Winnipeg now has a 2-1-1 record this season while Pittsburgh is 2-2-0. The Penguins will return to Winnipeg on Feb. 15.

1. phillyphanatic77 - Jan 26, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Seems Pens fans have lost a lot of their bluster after losing two straight to Toronto and Winnipeg. Guess 47-1 is out of the question for the infallible Penguins. Makes me smile. On the flip side, the Jets have a solid core. I think they might surprise some people, especially with Washington struggling mightily.

• crosberries - Jan 26, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Love that Philly fans are in here barking I’d be way more worried about where you guys are this year…can’t score can’t keep the puck out of your own net. All we need is more attention to details.

• phillyphannn83 - Jan 26, 2013 at 11:50 PM

7-1 hows that for scoring and keeping the puck out of our own net? fyi Bryz is 17th in GAA while MAF is LAST in the league, hahahahaha. Check out some stats before posting your incorrect fanboy opinions.

• hockeywithdrawal - Jan 26, 2013 at 5:02 PM

Jets played a good game. Pens have shown that they have the tools, and are in good shape…all of the tools just need to show up for every game. As for Philly, they’ve shown that they ARE a bunch of tools, and that they have no interest in winning. Whether it be Simmonds cross-checking Brodeur in the mask after the play or Schenn getting himself suspended within the first two weeks of the season…as far as I’m concerned, any fan of the Cryers’ opinion is worth about as much as a handful of sh*t. Thanks for playing, bye bye.

• phillyphanatic77 - Jan 27, 2013 at 1:43 AM

Funny, I feel the same about your illogical and biased comments. There are a few Pens fans I respect but most are arrogant homers or trolls, like yourself. I’d say our interest in winning is just fine since we’ve won two in a row, including 7-1 tonight. And are now tied in points with your aloof, conceited franchise. The Penguins, meanwhile, are heading in the opposite direction after two embarrassing losses to average teams. However, unlike yourself (who is a biased homer), I actually live in reality and know BOTH have the tools to be Stanley Cup contenders. Can’t wait til the next battle of PA so we can show the city of Pittsburgh just how overrated their infallible Penguins are.

2. phillyphannn83 - Jan 26, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Eerily silent in here…

Where’s the SCA?

All I hear is crickets…

• govtminion - Jan 26, 2013 at 1:27 AM

Please don’t encourage him.

3. hockeyfan28 - Jan 26, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Gotta give Jets fans credit that ones an original, gives flyers fans a few ideas the next time he comes to Philly

• phillyphannn83 - Jan 26, 2013 at 3:57 AM

we dont need that crap. “Crosby Sucks” works just fine

• eyeh8goodell - Jan 26, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Despite the fact that he’s well over a point per game average over the course of his career against Philly, close to 2. That chant is a reflection on Philly Fan’s stupidity more than it is Crosby.

• phillyphannn83 - Jan 26, 2013 at 4:05 PM

And how’d that work out in the playoffs?

• hockeyfan28 - Jan 26, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Yeh Crosby sucks works fine if your about 12 years old and at some point Crosby will get confused with flyer fans chants at their own players

• whatthepuck2012 - Jan 26, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Maybe they should try cheering FOR their team instead of AGAINST the Pens. Never heard of fans totally unable to root for their own players like Philly fans.

• phillyphannn83 - Jan 26, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Boy I love made up stuff, please contribute some more, its so useful.

4. orangeandblack67 - Jan 26, 2013 at 1:38 AM

WOW… First the Leafs now the Jets? I thought we were in trouble. Let me guess it’s early in the season etc etc…

5. williplett - Jan 26, 2013 at 4:02 AM

I’m far from a SCA guy, but I’d like to ask the Jets fans just what the hell they have done since the WHA died. Zilch. Unless you count that trip to Phoenix and the trip back from Atlanta. Dale Hawerchuk maybe? Crosby has a ring and a gigantic contract.

Try harder.

6. rushledger - Jan 26, 2013 at 5:02 AM

Pretty sure Philadelphia wasn’t in this game yet were talking about them, I wouldn’t mind if comments were banned on this page, we can all do without the trolls.

• paresident21 - Jan 26, 2013 at 9:51 AM

Im Pretty sure every fanboy in their moms basement from Pittsburg posts on every flyers article don’t do crying wolf just because you have nothing to say now that the almighty pens may not be as good as you thought they were

• pennsylvaniayinzer - Jan 26, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Typical Philadelphia, or is it Philthy-delphia, “citizen”. Doesn’t know how to spell. Crawl back under your rock!

• melonheadsdaddy - Jan 27, 2013 at 8:41 AM

And you have a grammar problem. Tense issues are worse than spelling problems…at least that’s what I tell my 4th graders…

7. mj1818 - Jan 26, 2013 at 6:44 AM

What is there to do in Winnipeg besides watch the jets? Oh..nothing..exactly. I say they should move them to Seattle I don’t care if they have a good following.

• kitshky - Jan 26, 2013 at 2:23 PM

So … of all the teams in sh*thole hockey markets around America, you want Winnipeg to move because Seattle’s more fun.

Brilliant.

• mp1131211 - Jan 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM

I will be tuning in to as many Jets games as I can. Those fans get your blood pumping from the faceoff right through the end!

8. mj1818 - Jan 26, 2013 at 6:49 AM

And on a side note Philly sports fans are the most bitter sports fans in the U.S. I am almost certain they are callin for Laviolette’s job they are 1-3 the season is lost! Turn the Wells Fargo into a parking lot.

• eyeh8goodell - Jan 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM

They ARE calling for his head. Check out some of the Flyers boards and you’ll see plenty of threads calling for his head.

• phillyphannn83 - Jan 26, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Same number of wins as Pittsburgh, is your season lost too?

9. ironmike778 - Jan 26, 2013 at 6:59 AM

Stupid

10. hy3rid28 - Jan 26, 2013 at 8:23 AM

they’re trying way to hard now, that’s just dumb

11. ironcity6pak - Jan 26, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Why do Philly fans come here to talk about the pens when they can’t get a healthy player on ice and and have way more concerns then the pens. Who gets hurt tonight, flyers season is over.

• phillyphannn83 - Jan 26, 2013 at 11:57 PM

7-1 win, nice prediction Nostradamaus. Did you prepare for Doomsday 2012 too??

12. steelers88 - Jan 26, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I’m concerned about the Pens they don’t have anyone to play with Malkin on the leftwing and they keep turning the puck over. They might make a trade to get a winger either for Crosby or Malkin. The rumor is Simon Despres might be involved in a trade. Well I guess it’s time to jump off the bandwagon! Just Kidding of course! I stick with my teams through thick and thin. I have stuck by the Pirates the past 20 years I will stick with the Pens through a 2 game losing streak.

• eyeh8goodell - Jan 26, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Malkin is doing plenty of the turning over, has nothing to do with his wing. 4 goals in 4 games have resulted from Geno turnovers.

13. ironman721 - Jan 26, 2013 at 9:07 AM

Jets played 2 solid periods and they beat the Pens. As for Philly fans, they haven’t win anything since Ford was in the White House so they have to cheer for Pittsburgh losses because they have nothing else to cheer for. I did I feel bad for them with all of the injuries but their fans make that impossible. It’s starting to look like karma!

• melonheadsdaddy - Jan 27, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Phillies won in 2008. I think Obama was in office. I should check my facts though, seeing as I’m from “philthy delphia” and am stupid.

• ironman721 - Jan 27, 2013 at 10:05 AM

See this is pro hockey talk. You want pro baseball talk. We are talking about the the Penguins and Flyers. You forgot to mention the 76ers or the Soul or any other sport Philadelphia won since the 70’s that no body cares about or was even talking about. Maybe you have been around 4th graders to long.

• melonheadsdaddy - Jan 27, 2013 at 3:18 PM

ZING!

14. broadstbully33 - Jan 26, 2013 at 9:09 AM

That’s clever.

15. broadstbully33 - Jan 26, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Pens fans disappeared. Just like every five years when bankruptcy letters show up at console center

• upyoursnfu - Jan 26, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Disappeared….like how the Stanley Cup disappeared from Philadelphia 40 years ago.

16. paresident21 - Jan 26, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Uh oh flyers win tonight they have as many wins as the pens, how’s that feel since half our team is hurt?

• sportsfreak13 - Jan 26, 2013 at 11:18 AM

3 players from a 23 man roster is half? Philly math right there.

17. ironman721 - Jan 26, 2013 at 10:06 AM

Definitely karma.

18. pennsylvaniayinzer - Jan 26, 2013 at 10:14 AM

I find it humorous and original what the ‘Peg fans called Sid. Nothing wrong with it. All fans should heckle players on visiting teams.

• phillyphannn83 - Jan 27, 2013 at 12:00 AM

Funny, what was that comment you made earlier about the intelligence of Philadelphia citizens and their spelling ability??? Tell me, what team is the Pegs??

• phillyphannn83 - Jan 27, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Lol, Foot in mouth. I take that back. Cancel reply button didnt work quick enough.

• pennsylvaniayinzer - Jan 27, 2013 at 7:21 AM

Cancel-brain-from-thinking button is working fine for you, though

19. malkinrulez - Jan 26, 2013 at 10:45 AM

No trade needed , beau Bennett will be called up. As much as I like Tangradi he just isn’t getting it done

20. sportsfreak13 - Jan 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I find it funny that the first 3 comments on a pens jets game are from flyer fans. Is this going to be another season of each fan base trolling the other.

• phillyphanatic77 - Jan 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I’d say it’s looking that way. It was just humorous to me the number of pens fan commenting after the first two wins, then barely a peep after the last two losses. And with all the rhetoric flying back and forth the Pens have just two more points than the Flyers. Bottom line is the Flyers, Rangers, and Penguins are all chasing the Devils right now.

21. broadstbully33 - Jan 26, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Like the pens fans from the arena for years and years. Pens fans didn’t know about hockey until Cindy. Check the lenders paperwork.

• sportsfreak13 - Jan 26, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Ya it’s not like we had players named Lemieux, jagr, kovalev, Coffey, or anything. How long can we do this bankruptcy vs 1975 dance? I’d say grow up but we all know you’ve already peaked intellectually so I guess we’ll just have to thumb down your meaningless comments and accept you for who you are, a troll.

• jimeejohnson - Jan 26, 2013 at 1:08 PM

He’s an ignorant troll. Mario was, perhaps, the greatest player EVER. Signed: poor, old Islanders fan.

• phillyphanatic77 - Jan 26, 2013 at 2:26 PM

I’d be absolutely thrilled if we stopped mentioning bankruptcy and you guys stop talking about 1975.

• ironman721 - Jan 26, 2013 at 2:36 PM

I totally agree. That would be awesome.

• sportsfreak13 - Jan 26, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I agree we should just keep the talk to strictly hockey and leave both teams history out of the conversation. Phillyphantic77 is by far the most rational flyer fan on here. As sad it is he’s right and everyone in the Atlantic division are chasing the devils. Every team has a chance to turn things around, but it won’t be easy with injuries playing a huge factor in a shortened season. All that aside I forgot to mention how awesome the jets fans are. Really loud and tuned into the game. Hat tip to you guys!

• phillyphannn83 - Jan 27, 2013 at 12:05 AM

Umm, his point exactly. After having all those great players, your team STILL almost got moved to Kansas City if it wasnt for Lemieux coming to the rescue. Totally sad.

• sportsfreak13 - Jan 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM

ahh yes phillyphan83 the bankruptcy/ moving team line to which ill reply 1975. Lets do this again soon eh? How about we stick to talking about todays games and get out of the past.

22. ironman721 - Jan 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Pens fans don’t reward losing by waisting money. Philly is use to losing. That’s what they pay for. They expect to lose and don’t know how to win because no one is alive anymore that witnessed it. They are extinct like the dinosaurs.

• melonheadsdaddy - Jan 27, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Used? You are an ignorant clown. As your comments below show will show people of all fan bases….you should stop posting before you hurt yourself.

• ironman721 - Jan 27, 2013 at 10:18 AM

A 4th grade English teacher from Philadelphia spouting off. That is really funny. This is probably your way of coping with being picked last in dodgeball your whole life. Stick with 4th grade English because sports are not your thing.

23. ironman721 - Jan 26, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Pens fans can’t afford to waist their money because they have families, mortgages, bills, and have to pay taxes so the Philly fans who are abusing the welfare system can go see the flyers lose every year.

• jimeejohnson - Jan 26, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Change your name to ignoramus. It suits you.

• ironman721 - Jan 26, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Change your name because NASCAR wants it back.

• phillyphanatic77 - Jan 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Wow. Really? that’s the argument you wanna make? Showing some real class in Pittsburgh. That’s the most ridiculous farce I’ve ever heard based on nothing more than prejudice towards a hockey team. No facts or statistics needed just throw out absurd, unrealistic scenarios.

• ironman721 - Jan 26, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Not an argument just a bad joke about my scumbag neighbor who doesn’t work but goes to flyers games and talks a lot of trash. My bad.

24. broadstbully33 - Jan 26, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Lol sportsfreak calling someone a troll… Classic. Check pens fans posts before you throw out troll. Every flyers article comments sections starts with 5 pens post saying 1975 or some other crap.

• sportsfreak13 - Jan 26, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Yea it’s 1 idiot pens fan with like 5 screen names. So your idea is to troll every Crosby related/ pens loss article to even the score? Like I said you peaked intellectually. You can’t carry on a actual hockey related convo so you just troll.

25. broadstbully33 - Jan 26, 2013 at 12:34 PM

You’re a bigger troll than most. Every article that involves Philly/pens you’re one of the first to make a stupid troll comment. 90% of pens fans are trolls on here.

• sportsfreak13 - Jan 26, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I respond to troll comments, I don’t start them. Learn the difference.

26. jimeejohnson - Jan 26, 2013 at 1:15 PM

I always thought New Yawk was the asshole of the Universe. Pennsylvania has a very good chance to move ahead thanks to arrogant, hateful LOSERS like yourselves. I have tremendous respect and admiration for both Pennsylvania hockey teams but pity the mean-spirited haters who bring their immaturity and lack of class to these boards. I still hope to see another playoff series between the two Pennsylvania clubs. It will be glorious, even with the juvenile comments by those with an inferiority complex bordering on insanity.

27. ironman721 - Jan 26, 2013 at 1:47 PM

An islanders fan calling people losers. Now that’s funny.

28. franchisethighs - Jan 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM

46-2 let’s go!

• phillyphannn83 - Jan 27, 2013 at 12:12 AM

There he is!! Love these comments!! Youre such a benefit to society, more people should be like you.

29. valoisjoeybfeld69 - Jan 26, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Crosby 5 pts vs Giroux 2 pts

• phillyphannn83 - Jan 27, 2013 at 12:14 AM

and now its 5-4, such a HUUUGGEEE difference

30. malvaren18 - Jan 26, 2013 at 2:49 PM

The jets at least have confidence which is good because that is all they have going for them, tunting the greatest player in the world who is Canadian is all there good for

31. bardown66 - Jan 26, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Pens will be fine, Malkin is struggling a little right now but could be worse. Just break tangradi’s leg so he can’t play anymore and we are fine. Beau Bennett please!

Eakins on his way out of Edmonton?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches